i7 920 or Phenom II 955 Black Edition?

I would say like others have said, that it depends on what you are doing with the system.

If you are strictly gaming, and you don't need excellent performance in other apps, then the 955 and a cheaper motherboard (to make it cheaper than the 920) would be fine.
If you need top performance with video editing etc, the i7 is probably worth it.

I would say like others have said, that it depends on what you are doing with the system.

If you are strictly gaming, and you don't need excellent performance in other apps, then the 955 and a cheaper motherboard (to make it cheaper than the 920) would be fine.
If you need top performance with video editing etc, the i7 is probably worth it.

So could I get a decent i7 motherboard and CPU that will clock to 3.2Ghz for £350 ?

Rohan, I know you already have the I7...
But I'm not so sure why everyone argue the Phenom II's against the I7.
You're comparing 8 processing threads with 4 processing threads. The I7 sports QPI with DDR3, too. I know, "it's cheaper" but when you demand the best performance what difference does the price make?

You're comparing 8 processing threads with 4 processing threads. The I7 sports QPI with DDR3, too. I know, "it's cheaper" but when you demand the best performance what difference does the price make?
Hyperthreading only benefits a limited number of apps. i7 still only has 4 logical cores, not 8.
QPI = Hypertransport.

PII holds it's own in certain apps such as gaming. Of course, it can't keep up with i7 in everything, but it provides an excellent cheaper alternative.

Good point, well taken. I do know about AMD's HyperTransport but it has higher latencies if I am correct?
Also, I am aware that it is only a 4 core proc, dual threaded.
Each brand has their respective capabilities and strong points. But you can never say one processor is "The best". However, certain processors can really take the lead on a majority of applications which is where I see the I7 975 being. But for some ridiculous price, no doubt. I won't call Intel a "budget fighter" but they certainly have good processors.

I use to like Intel in the late 90's and the early 00's but transfered over to AMD side respectively. While AMD hasn't been doing too well they are getting back to where they use to when they released 64bit processors and dualcores.

Either way you wont be disappointed with the decision you made.

I went with the i7 for a few reasons. Cheaper than the AMD counterpart, I wouldn't have to wait for shipping, even in games but 50% faster clock for clock in editing.

Back
Top Bottom