WinXP install problem - USB Keyboard

Russel1

Daemon Poster
Well, finally got the time to assemble a new system. Set out to install WinXP pro but ran into a problem: To agree to the license you must key F8, then the installation continues. The motherboard is a Intel DP45SG, it doesn't have a PS/2 port for a standard keyboard so I am using a USB Keyboard. Well, the keyboard works fine setting up the bios and during the very start of WinXP installation, but when I get to key F8 to agree, the F8 key doesn't seem to work. Ironically, the escape key works, and the system will reboot at that point. Needless to say, installing WinXP is a little difficult without a working F8 key.

Has anyone run across this before? Is there a workaround? Do I need to try a different keyboard?

My current work around is to install Vista. I've got 30 days to try out this build and fool around with Vista, but my intent is to install WinXP pro as soon as I figure out the F8 key problem.

BTW: I stumbled across these forums the other day and I'm very impressed!

Hmm..
Maby beacuse its a USB PORT.

Install a realy port for your Key-Board.

Well, finally got the time to assemble a new system. Set out to install WinXP pro but ran into a problem: To agree to the license you must key F8, then the installation continues. The motherboard is a Intel DP45SG, it doesn't have a PS/2 port for a standard keyboard so I am using a USB Keyboard. Well, the keyboard works fine setting up the bios and during the very start of WinXP installation, but when I get to key F8 to agree, the F8 key doesn't seem to work. Ironically, the escape key works, and the system will reboot at that point. Needless to say, installing WinXP is a little difficult without a working F8 key.

Has anyone run across this before? Is there a workaround? Do I need to try a different keyboard?

My current work around is to install Vista. I've got 30 days to try out this build and fool around with Vista, but my intent is to install WinXP pro as soon as I figure out the F8 key problem.

BTW: I stumbled across these forums the other day and I'm very impressed!

Also Please give some Screen-Shots of the System/Ports/Wires eCT..

Ty

Atomic Rooster they have to be enabled. (no point in doing that)

if the Esc Button works then they are enebaled.

Re-install Drivers?

Or buy a Extrenal HARD-DRIVE and Install Windows on it from another Computer.
Run it and Wala!

The thing that has me wondering is that the keyboard works fine for everything else, when installing WinXP up to the "F8 to agree"

I am considering dual booting with WinXP and Vista, so I purchased both with the computer hardware. So, when I couldn't get XP to install due to the F8 thing, I simply dropped the Vista install disk into the DVD drive to see if it required use of the F8 Key. It didn't, and here I am typing away with the same hardware, but a different OS. I figured Intel motherboards must be popular enough that someone else has run into this before.

I did reboot and check the bios settings but the only thing that I could find that looked like it had anything to do with it was the USB configuration settings and that listed only enable/disable ports and enable/disable Legacy.

AntiStealth, what in the heck is a Realy port?

I dont get you..
Are you asking what a Port is?
Or what?

And Good on you for fixing it
:)
Good Luck in the Future.

Try enabling Legacy support. That may help you with your XP install.

Forgive me for not thinking far enough to state what the USB setting are, both USB ports and Legacy are enabled.

I've assembled many computers, but this is the first time I've seen a motherboard without a PS/2 port for the keyboard and mouse.

I dont get you..
Are you asking what a Port is?
Or what?

You stated this in post #2 earlier, I'm not sure what you mean.

Hmm..
Maby beacuse its a USB PORT.

Install a realy port for your Key-Board.

Thanks

Wow, the automerge thing surprised me! I guess it cuts down on the number of posts by lumping them together, when from the same author.

I've been scouring the interwebz for an answer and have come up with nothing. What version are you installing? XP, XP SP1 or XP SP2?

The only thing I can think of is to try a different keyboard. You are using a wired board correct?

I have a DP35DP board and I think the bios may be close enough to help out.
In my boot set up I have:
Optical devices Enabled
Removable devices Enabled
Network disabled
USB boot Enabled
Emulation Enabled
Boot USB devices first Disabled
USB mass storage emulation Auto
EFI boot Disabled

You didn't say if it's a wireless keyboard as some will halfassed come up but not everything on the keyboard functions. If it plugs directly in to a port try moving it to one of the ports fed directly off the motherboard in the back.
When all else fails try another keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom