Do I need to upgrade my computer?

aggie5857

Solid State Member
I have been playing Empire Total War for a while now and the gameplay seems to be choppy. Not running smooth at all. I'd like to know if my build is good enough or if i might be having other problems. I bought the following from alienware. Apart from this build, i had to replace the power supply once and added 2gig more of memory. Do i need to upgrade my PC or maybe just my video card.

AREA-51
ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE MB
P4 3.4EGHZ 1MB 800FSB TRAY
ALIENWARE 512MB DDR PC3200LL
WD 250GB SATA 7200 RPM 8MB HD
NEC ND-3500 16X DUAL LAYER DVD±R/W RECORDER
1.44MB FLOPPY DRIVE BLACK
CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS 7.1
NVIDIA GEFORCE 6800 GT 256MB AGP
480W POWER SUPPLY

Marketing Discounts

Definitely your video card. Your machine is beginning to age. I would suggest looking into a new build.

Well..
The graphics card would maby run for another 2-6 Months and alot of the stuff you have is not well REALY outdated its just new modles have come out.

i would think about Upgradeing As soon as Possible.
And to answer your Question YES you do need to upgrade your Video/Graphics Card.
try to update your Nevida Drivers.
at:www.Nevida.com

Hope i Helped Bud :)

The User:Edin

Brand:Lenevo S10 Black Netbook (Its a Notebook now that i added all these Extras)
Secuity Type:Norton/AVG/
Fire-wall:AVG BASIC FIREWALL / WINDOWS FIREWALL
Windows:Vista Ultimate
Battery:Normal. 3 Hour Life.
RAM:512MB with 1GB CORE.
Internet:3G COVERAGE 500-600KPBS (5GB LIMET PER MONTH
Graphics-Card:Media Altertracter 950. (Good with Gameing)
Any Extra Programs
-Winrar
-ScrapBook
-Cystal-Net
-Ram-Booster
-Internet Booster
-Computer Maintaince Booster
-Codes to Ram-Booster,Internet-Booster,Computer-Maintaince Booster..
-8GB FLASH-DRIVE. (Another 16GB) {Newly Added 250GB HARD-DRIVE! :O}
-Dll Drivers. {Updated}
-Windows Vista (Theme) (and alot of Support from Develpors to turn into VISTA)
NEW EXTRAS I ADDED
-External CD/DVD DRIVE (Coming Soon!!)
Thats my System!
BEAT THAT!
(Warning:Dont Try to be that you will Fail by 360 Degress.)
(Why:My System Supports all Gameing with its ATOM Procceror and Extra Bosts,Programs AND Crystal Net!)

The Coming Soon Means i will have the Item VERY soon.

Well..
The graphics card would maby run for another 2-6 Months and alot of the stuff you have is not well REALY outdated its just new modles have come out.

i would think about Upgradeing As soon as Possible.
And to answer your Question YES you do need to upgrade your Video/Graphics Card.
try to update your Nevida Drivers.
at:www.Nevida.com

That card was outdated years ago.

It's www.nvidia.com, by the way.

Yea.
I cahnged my SIG
Yea you need a New Build basicaly i just Looked on the net i cant find anything to upgrade that Mother-Board. :S

Yeah, the motherboard sucks. I don't know how to go about getting another GPU though. I don't know what would be better. I think based on the motherboard i am limited to AGP or PCI and not the PCI-e.

If thats the case, from what ive seen on newegg or tigerdirect, i dont know how to distinguish what would be better or worse than what i have. i did a search for the 6800 series but cant come up with anything.

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Joel

Well Joel, like Rohan suggested, although your computer isn't "bad", it is beginning to age. Would you be willing to get a new system? Because if you're upgrading your motherboard, it's basically time for a new computer.

didn't want to go that route just yet, was hoping for a better video card. what i found that was compatible in pci was a geforce 8500 gt. Was hoping that would take care of my lag problem when playing the newer games.

I did look at upgrading to a dual core or even an i7. Not should what all i could keep from my current set up. Probably just the case, power supply (500w), dvd drive, floppy disk and hard drive.

would probably need new motherboard, CPU, GPU and memory.

didn't want to go that route just yet, was hoping for a better video card. what i found that was compatible in pci was a geforce 8500 gt. Was hoping that would take care of my lag problem when playing the newer games.

I did look at upgrading to a dual core or even an i7. Not should what all i could keep from my current set up. Probably just the case, power supply (500w), dvd drive, floppy disk and hard drive.

would probably need new motherboard, CPU, GPU and memory.

Well to be honest, I think you should get a new computer. You could get something a lot better than what you have now for about $400 dollars.

EDIT: If you were to get a new motherboard, CPU, GPU, and Memory, it's just time for a new computer.

Back
Top Bottom