Distributed computer, CF teams.

Folding@Home is using your personal computer's power to help medical research. What you do is download a client for your CPU or GPU, and it utilizes the processing power of whichever you do to break down protien molecules (among others) and then sends the results to Standford University. If you look at the F@H website it explains it in more depth.

Mooseman i hate you, could you please stop folding for like 3 months, my damn 9600gt cant keep up with you

^ LOL Sorry Prodigy, but my GTX 260 loves to fold :p Besides that, as soon as I started folding again I'd reclaim the throne in a matter of hours >: )

EDIT: I wont fold tonight just for you ;)

there is zero chances for this to give ya viruses right?
Iv heard from different people that it can, and cant.

btw...does a faster computer, say a quad core compaired to a single core, do more work and more folding calculations then a slower one? Jw.
and would it be better to do folding on my CPU or GPU?

As long as its free, i'll join in when i get home ;) (umma poor college kid : / )

*edit*

seems theres a compitition with this folding at home? I am starting to late to try and catch up, but um in for a good old competition :) *electric bill Skyrockets*

Unless you get it somewhere other than the Folding@home website, it should be virus-free.

I guess I'll be joining the competition a little late.

seems theres a compitition with this folding at home? I am starting to late to try and catch up, but um in for a good old competition :) *electric bill Skyrockets*

Well if you want to make full use of your quad core you need to download the smp verision and attach an smp tag to the target line, the folding@home site will explain this better though. But usually the gpu folding program is ALOT better than the cpu folding. Because you gotta remember all of this folding is being calculated in images and just like in games a video card makes more of an impact than a cpu when calculating that. So for example:

A phenom II gets an average of 1500 points per day (SMP Client)
My 9600gt gets 3500 points per day average, when i oc'd it i now get 4200 points per day.
a 9800gt can get 5000 points per day average
An HD 4830 gets 2500 points per day average
The HD 4850 gets 3000 points per day average

Ati's video cards do worse at folding because the 640/800 shaders with Brown+ coding is just too complex for the gpu folding client to take advantage of, Folding@home has to make a special client for ati cards to do that. Hopefully that happens soon

Back
Top Bottom