Watercooling my Rebuild

s162217

Baseband Member
Hi,

After trying to get a good air cooler for my rebuilt computer with an old but much loved Socket 462/A XP-M 2500+ for over 6 months and constantly being sent a newer incompatiable version of the cooler I want, I have decided to go with watercooling, partly because of the reason above and also just to try it out.

At Specialtech, I found the you could say perfect newbies kit, the XSPC X20 Delta V3 CPU Watercooling Kit (seehttp://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=6687&cat=605&page=1) for £83.99, this includes:

• A universal cpu waerblock, a XSPC Delta V3
  • An RS120 radiator
  • Low noise 120mm fan
  • A combo small reservoir/pump with a flow rate of 400 litres per hour
  • 2 meters of 10/8mm Transparent tubing
  • All needed accessories like mounting brackets

For £4.99 I can upgrade to 1/2" tubing and, I can get a single or dual 5.25" bay reservoir for about £20 to use with the reservoir/pump included.
I am not too sure if the pump is powerful enough though, but I idealy don't want to spend more than £125. More importantly, I will need a Northbridge water block, so can someone suggest one to me that is inexpensive (i.e below £25) but good enough.

By the way before anyone laughs about this being for a socket A processor nearly 6 years old, it runs games before 2007 like anything and the 1 in 1000 Gainward 7800gs+ AGP GFX just makes it even better. Plus when I am forced to one day upgrade, I can use all the watercooling stuff with that anyway

Any suggestions or ideas?

Liquid cooling won't be necessary for a SA build. The procs just don't make enough heat to use a LCS. Wait until you start using S775 or the likes.

Try finding a decent Socket A cooler for overclocking. Zalman cpsn7000b-cu flower coolers are non existant now it seems as every place I have tried to buy it off has sent me an incompatiable 'C' not 'B'. The other major one, the thermaltake 900u I think it is does not seem to exist either.
To be honest, I don't really want to upgrade as all of my games are before 2007 and run perfect. I just enjoy modding and upgrading what I currently have.

You do know that you can build a new dual core system right now for $300 right?

Complete with a 780G mobo, 450 watt 80+ psu, 320Gb HD and a mid range video card

But why to be so set on an LCS? If you grab a specified LCS, it won't be useful when you /do/ upgrade.

But why to be so set on an LCS? If you grab a specified LCS, it won't be useful when you /do/ upgrade.

Actually that waterblocks bracket supports all sockets - reviews have shown it can easily cool a core i7 (although I hate Intel so it will be an AM2+ or AM3)

You do know that you can build a new dual core system right now for $300 right?

Complete with a 780G mobo, 450 watt 80+ psu, 320Gb HD and a mid range video card

Thats US prices, in the UK everything is about two or three times the cost. So £300 about = about $550

It's about 1.44 pounds to the USD.

Nothing here is anywhere near as cheap as in the US, that was just an estimate. Take Vista Ultimate for example - whyn that came out it was $300 but over here it was £300 so they were charging us much more.

1. For £100 you could do an upgrade that would give you a lot more performance than a couple hundred extra MHz out of your current CPU.
2. This will only increase the performance of your GPU unless you're buying a GPU block as well which would be a waste of money.
3. You can't be serious...

Back
Top Bottom