uhhh... wtf..infraction notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wtf no i think 15% of people use it for legal purposes but thats not the point. i just think torrents help in some aspects. Demos are never really a main focus when a game comes out, I have to pay adobe $15 just for the CS4 30 day trial dvd's because they know that no one wants to download 13GB's.

I just think if developers keep losing money from these torrents maybe we can actually get some quailty demos maybe even some free multiplayer and some free shipped trial software dvds.

I have to pay adobe $15 just for the CS4 30 day trial dvd's because they know that no one wants to download 13GB's.

I just think if developers keep losing money from these torrents maybe we can actually get some quailty demos maybe even some free multiplayer and some free shipped trial software dvds.
I wouldnt mind pay ing $15 for a trial DVD if i where to then get a $15 if i decide to buy the product or if i am able to just buiy the license and convert the trial fully to a licensed version for a lot less than buying the software

Besides putting numbers and statistics aside everyone knows that the number one use of torrenting is for illegal content . But the record companies and movie studios have lost out now there is no way to reverse the trend in torrenting .The studios and enforcement agencies are in now way capable of catching and prosecuting or sueing all of the pirates . In fact i dont even think they are capable of dealing with half of the pirates

A teacher downloading illegal material. Nice. :rolleyes:
Whats so wrong with a teacher downloading pirated software that isnt so wrong with the rest of us doing it . It annoys me when people tell teachers what they can and cant do in their private time i know you arent exactly telling them what they should and shouldnt do but you are disaproving of their actions . Why exactly do you disaprove of teachers pirating software ?

as long as they are not doing it using school computers or networks apart from the obvious illegality i dont see why its any worse than the rest of us doing it .or all of a sudden because they are teachers they have to enforce the moral highground all of the time . Hell teachers shouldnt be drinking or smoking either should they??
Hell in some cases teachers actually advise their students to pirate software as was the case with my programming coursework in the end people werent meeting deadlines and needed to be writing programs at home bu couldnt afford the software

Looks like everyone screwed EA

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/18/sims_3_leaked_online/

But think about it, the age group that this game is usually played by (10-14) doesnt know how to pirate. So maybe the people downloading this are just testing it out, who knows maybe this will help the sims 3's release due to people spreading the word that its a great game.

Well it could be a bad game to though...

Your making an assumption right there, 90% of people do not use torrents for illegal purposes. Hell i even downloaded crysis, crysis warhead and cracked crysis wars, played it for 30 minutes, uninstalled it and look. i bought it because i got to fully test it and i liked it.

Yeah you might say not everyone is like that, well maybe a better software testing scheme should be used and it wouldnt happen. And maybe developers should stop releasing shit products

even so, downloading the software and cracking it is illegal...

the funny thing is, I'm in complete agreement with this idea.
I don't know whether I'll like a game, or a band, or a bit of software, so I somehow feel entitled to break the law to try before I buy, because if I download something and really like it, then I like it enough to buy it.

it still doesn't stop the fact that downloading it in the first place, for whatever reason is illegal though

Well the site thats supplying everyone this is illegal. If the sites and servers were taken down, none of this piracy would happen. I dont know why they blame the people who download it

At the time the rule was composed it was due to legal issues.
The most important aspect is the owners of websites being held accountable for being a party to pirating. If you allow a link to copyrighted software and or media to be posted then it's the owner's ass that gets in the sling.
Another was due to pirating the cost of software has skyrocketed. We didn't and still don't think it's fair or right for you to steal software or other media just because you're too cheap or lazy to go out and buy a legit copy.

On the topic oif numbers and crysis. For every 1 copy of Crysis sold, 10 were torrented according to an article I read.

Another was due to pirating, the cost of software has skyrocketed. We didn't and still don't think it's fair or right for you to steal software or other media just because you're too cheap or lazy to go out and buy a legit copy.

Yeah right and i bet we caused the Software Industry To Lose 50 Billion Dollars

You can't lose money from a sale you didn't have. You may not have made that money, but you can't say, because you don't know that you'd make that sale in the first place. So while you can actually say how many pirates there may be, you can not judge how much money has been 'lost'. This is just another way for a company to have a reason to increase prices.

For every 1 copy of Crysis sold, 10 were torrented according to an article I read.

And ok so crysis is being pirated 10 times more than it is bought, its been that way for years. All games were being pirated like that, but now that its actually being monitored and companys are now bitching to isps, its just being brought out in the open.

Well the site thats supplying everyone this is illegal. If the sites and servers were taken down, none of this piracy would happen. I dont know why they blame the people who download it
no it's clearly the people who choose to break the law that do the illegal thing.

if I choose to shoot a person, it's me that's done something illegal, not the shop who sold me the gun.

same as if I choose to download something it's me choosing to break the law, not the site that gave the the torrent.

Yeah right and i bet we caused the Software Industry To Lose 50 Billion Dollars

You can't lose money from a sale you didn't have. You may not have made that money, but you can't say, because you don't know that you'd make that sale in the first place. So while you can actually say how many pirates there may be, you can not judge how much money has been 'lost'. This is just another way for a company to have a reason to increase prices.
Quite, that figure gets me as well.
Whilst I agree that just because a piece of software is downloaded a lot, it doesn't mean that the people would have bought it, but it doesn't make downloading it any less legal.
but at the same time the companies that make the software shouldnt bitch and moan about lost sales, or suggest that people 'cost' them a lost sale.

Office is a prize example. how many of you have microsoft office? i'll be a fair few, how many paid for it? i'll bet much less than the people who have it.

and if you couldn't pirate it, well I think that most people would actually just switch to using either wordpad, or go out and get a free copy of open office.

I guess the point is that just because you can get a copy for free by downloading it, it doesn't mean that you should.

if you like it enough to steal it, then you should like it enough to pay for it surely. or seek out a free, or at least less costly alternative?
And ok so crysis is being pirated 10 times more than it is bought, its been that way for years. All games were being pirated like that, but now that its actually being monitored and companys are now bitching to isps, its just being brought out in the open.

again I agree, it's not that piracy is on the up, it's that it can be more effectively monitored now.
copying a CD was the way that piracy used to happen, and the manufacturers never saw this, now that they can monitor torrents they are whining that more people than ever before pirate software. I'd hazard a guess that a few more, but not millions more than would have gotten a copy of the game by copying their friends CD, or by stealing a copy of office from work or stuff like that.

anyway, just because you can download a copy, and regardless of whether you'd have bought it, or could have bought it, that doesn't make piracy any more legal... or mean that you can link to torrent files here...

as a bit of a pro piracy thing, it's not hard to grasp the fact that the reason that programs such as office as the de-facto standard is because of their abundance,
it used to be that was determined by the workplace, people learned how to use the program at work, so when they wanted to use it at home it made sense to buy the same thing that they'd just learned how to use -rather than learning something new.

now that there are more PCs in homes than there are in work places I suspect that it works the other way around.

Business have to use windows, and have to use MS office because it's what the people already know, it's what they have at home and what they want to use at work, what they feel comfortable with.

companies like Microsoft should be looking at piracy from the other angle, they should be actively encouraging people to download free copies of office for 'personal' use, so that they can reach complete saturation, and be the thing that everyone knows, then they should be saying that for 'business' use you have to pay.

if everyone decided to follow the law and not steal windows, not steal office, then we'd all be sat at home playing games in linux, when you wanted to do your school work, or your home finances or write a letter you;d be using open office, you'd get used to it, and know and love it.

then when you went to work or school you'd want that there, you'd find that you were slower and less productive on an unfamiliar OS, or office packages. so you'd want your work/school to be using Linux/open office because it's what you knew and what you preferred.

as illegal as piracy is, and as much as the industry likes to cry about it, piracy is helping the prolification of products into the homes of ordinary people, where it spreads to the work place,
try before you buy downloads are actually driving game sales as people try it, like it and buy it,
the same with music sales, there is no way that I'll spend £15 on a new album to find out if I like a band, but I'll happily spend that on music that I know that i'll like and get a lot of enjoyment out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom