Help with a gaming computer build

Steps to Clean Install XP

Skip down to step 10. Choose the location to install.. That will detail how to partition and format the drive. The pics on the left will show you how it looks. Once everything is installed and running, just go into My computer and you'll see the different partitions. You can save your important files on the second partition. When it comes time to install a new OS, you can save any needed files from the primary part to the secondary part. During the install, just point the OS to the first part.

Steps to Clean Install XP

Skip down to step 10. Choose the location to install.. That will detail how to partition and format the drive. The pics on the left will show you how it looks. Once everything is installed and running, just go into My computer and you'll see the different partitions. You can save your important files on the second partition. When it comes time to install a new OS, you can save any needed files from the primary part to the secondary part. During the install, just point the OS to the first part.

thanks =]

how big of a partition would you suggest for the primary one? (OS and applications... games will go onto the second one)

I split mine up evenly. Some like to keep the primary partition just large enough for the OS plus some extra space.

30 should be good that is a little even to much

so basically.... when windows boots off cd... and it asks you where to save it, create a partition of ~30gb or so.... then create another partition with everything else... save all data to the other partition that the OS is not installed to.... and when it comes time to upgrade to full w7, just format the partitioned part and then reinstall on that partition amirite?

also... is there any way after i create the OS partition to set the other one as the primary or whatever so i dont have to keep rummaging through files to save it to the other partition?

You shouldnt parition a drive, the NTFS file system usually positions files on the disk closer to the outside of disk by itself. Paritioning might actually ruin it

If you really are worried about the way your files are positioned on disk, Use This. This defragmenter has an optimize phase that manually moves all of your files (OS system files move first) to the outside of the disk so you get the maximum read/write/boot/load speed of your drive. Scroll down the page to read about the Optimize Phase if you dont believe me

You shouldnt parition a drive, the NTFS file system usually positions files on the disk closer to the outside of disk by itself. Paritioning might actually ruin it

If you really are worried about the way your files are positioned on disk, Use This. This defragmenter has an optimize phase that manually moves all of your files (OS system files move first) to the outside of the disk so you get the maximum read/write/boot/load speed of your drive. Scroll down the page to read about the Optimize Phase if you dont believe me

no, im not worried about HOW they are placed.. i just want to have it so i dont have to wipe my entire drive when i have to put on a different OS

Back
Top Bottom