Help with a gaming computer build

Yeah, DVD's aren't huge and it would take a long time, but if you do something when you are partitioning, there go all of your files. And yeah, you would have to burn them.

oh ok.... well.... maybe ill just setup a filesharing LAN from my laptop to my comp and just move them that way...

how would you go about backing them up? couldnt you just partition your drive into 2 different ones... format the OS partition, and install the new one there? would that even work?
That's how I roll. I have a 250GB drive partitioned into two even parts. The OS, games and apps are on the first part. Files, downloads, music, pics and everything else on the second.

how long would it take to move like 30gb of files on a LAN?

oh and AR... i know u told posted this before, but i forgot to save the webpage... how would u go about setting that up again?

i'm debating whether to buy an OS or just use w7, with the only drawback being that I dont want to have to uninstall everything and back up files and whatnot

Vista Basic only lets you use one core. I wouldn't recommend it at all. Home/Premium is the lowest you should aim for. Windows 7 is a fantastic operating system. I would highly recommend it.

BestBuy has a 500 gig usb drive for $119.00USD

I have never been a fan of external drives, if you have the space in your case, just grab a new hdd, $119 will get you about 1TB IIRC, install it as a slave and transfer the files onto that, then next time you have to reload an OS you will already have all the space you need for backups, also, internal drives transfer files way faster than an external usb drive...

I've always done what AR suggested, I have a 160Gb Raptor partitioned into two drives so that if I reload an OS I don't have to back up that much data, I then have a few storage drives (160GB, two 250GB and a 640GB), one of which contains a "setup" folder that stores all my program installation files so that I don't have to waste time downloading and can just install programs and drivers...

I have never been a fan of external drives, if you have the space in your case, just grab a new hdd, $119 will get you about 1TB IIRC, install it as a slave and transfer the files onto that, then next time you have to reload an OS you will already have all the space you need for backups, also, internal drives transfer files way faster than an external usb drive...

I've always done what AR suggested, I have a 160Gb Raptor partitioned into two drives so that if I reload an OS I don't have to back up that much data, I then have a few storage drives (160GB, two 250GB and a 640GB), one of which contains a "setup" folder that stores all my program installation files so that I don't have to waste time downloading and can just install programs and drivers...

Holy f*cking crap wolverine. It seems like you've got all of your bases covered. :D I wish I could have a setup like that. Oh well. Soon maybe.

Back
Top Bottom