AMD or Intel

I would say I like intel better, however, being on a limited budget and only a gamer, I would go with an AMD (particularly the Phenom II's) since they are such a deal for someone on a budget.

Intel is superior in all the recent benchmarks (even with the new Phenom II out)

For gaming a dual-core is ideal since most games are not multi-threaded, but a quad running at 3.5Ghz will have the same performance as a dual-core at 3.5Ghz. I say a dual-core is ideal because they can overclock sufficiently better than a quad, therefore yielding greater performance. However, you would see the best performance in video editing if you purchased a quad core, but a dual-core at high frequencies and plenty of cache will get the job done.

I don't recommend AMD, I've had issues with the RAM frequencies when overclocking the 5400+. If I were you, I'd stick to the E7/8xxx series, get a good heatsink, and overclock it to 3.5-4.0Ghz. The performance outdoes the price in a large margin, in my opinion.

Once Windows 7 releases you'll have a reason to use quad-cores. Microsoft is vastly improving the multi-threading capabilities of Windows 7 over Vista and XP.

Once Windows 7 releases you'll have a reason to use quad-cores. Microsoft is vastly improving the multi-threading capabilities of Windows 7 over Vista and XP.

Cool. I did not know that. That's awesome.

I am actually using an AMD turion right now and I haven't tried using the newer Intel processors yet, so I really can't decide right now. But over-all, I am satisfied with it.

Still running on the Athlon 64 X2 3800+...not that quick, but it gets the job done.

I'm on my Xeon E3110@ 4 Ghz, I hope that holds out long enough so I can keep saving for RWD goodness. :D

Back
Top Bottom