God gets owned:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up an atheist and became a born again Christian so I have multiple views on the universe, life, and their meanings.

Here we go:

I found this one kind amusing. I really do not understand what they are trying to prove here.

#1 Snails do not melt
PSA 58:8 As a snail which melteth, let every one of them pass away: like the untimely birth of a woman, that they may not see the sun.

Umm... ok, would you rather the Bible, specifically the poetic Psalms to read... "As a snail which undergoes severely extreme osmosis when in contact with sodium, let everyone...." Don't be ridiculous. I don't think 40% of the American population would know what the definition of osmosis is anyways.

#2 Who is the father of Joseph?
MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

I'll answer this with a source of my own:
http://www.lifeofchrist.com/life/genealogy/joseph.html

#3 Is Jesus equal to or lesser than?
JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.

JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

There is something called the Trinity in the Bible. It's a pretty big deal in the whole theology. This consists of The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. When Jesus said "I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I", He meant it as an example for the people. Not to just worship Jesus, but to worship the Father.

#4 War or Peace?
EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

Taken out of context once again. You must look at the time frames. One happened WAY before Christ, the other after He died. Funny thing, my friend has a response to this. "God is righteous and He is angry with the wicked all day long. Anger is rooted in God's love and right ways. War in the Old Testament was punishment for those who go against God's ways and lead people astray. God of peace is the fact that Jesus died on the Cross so we can be forgiven of our ways and not experience God's wrath that comes from his anger. Again, Godly anger is the anger that comes from a wrong like murder, rape, etc. In the OT, war wiped people out that did not follow God. In the New Testament, we are spiritually wiped out when we don't follow God."

#5 Who was at the Empty Tomb? Is it:
MAT 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

MAR 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

JOH 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

Say you have a little kid, about 6 years old, come to tell you that some odd event just happened and they saw it. You probably wouldn't believe them. But another young one comes along, saying he same basically the same thing, but with different minor details. Now the story is getting somewhat reliable. So a THIRD kid comes to you and says that the same odd event happened but their details varied from the other two. From this reasoning, you could logically conclude it happened, but not exactly those invital details. This is were faith comes in.

I'll do more later. I actually find joy in this.

Here we go:

I found this one kind amusing. I really do not understand what they are trying to prove here.

#1 Snails do not melt
PSA 58:8 As a snail which melteth, let every one of them pass away: like the untimely birth of a woman, that they may not see the sun.

Umm... ok, would you rather the Bible, specifically the poetic Psalms to read... "As a snail which undergoes severely extreme osmosis when in contact with sodium, let everyone...." Don't be ridiculous. I don't think 40% of the American population would know what the definition of osmosis is anyways.

#2 Who is the father of Joseph?
MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

I'll answer this with a source of my own:
http://www.lifeofchrist.com/life/genealogy/joseph.html

#3 Is Jesus equal to or lesser than?
JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.

JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

There is something called the Trinity in the Bible. It's a pretty big deal in the whole theology. This consists of The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. When Jesus said "I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I", He meant it as an example for the people. Not to just worship Jesus, but to worship the Father.

#4 War or Peace?
EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

Taken out of context once again. You must look at the time frames. One happened WAY before Christ, the other after He died. Funny thing, my friend has a response to this. "God is righteous and He is angry with the wicked all day long. Anger is rooted in God's love and right ways. War in the Old Testament was punishment for those who go against God's ways and lead people astray. God of peace is the fact that Jesus died on the Cross so we can be forgiven of our ways and not experience God's wrath that comes from his anger. Again, Godly anger is the anger that comes from a wrong like murder, rape, etc. In the OT, war wiped people out that did not follow God. In the New Testament, we are spiritually wiped out when we don't follow God."

#5 Who was at the Empty Tomb? Is it:
MAT 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

MAR 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

JOH 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

Say you have a little kid, about 6 years old, come to tell you that some odd event just happened and they saw it. You probably wouldn't believe them. But another young one comes along, saying he same basically the same thing, but with different minor details. Now the story is getting somewhat reliable. So a THIRD kid comes to you and says that the same odd event happened but their details varied from the other two. From this reasoning, you could logically conclude it happened, but not exactly those invital details. This is were faith comes in.

I'll do more later. I actually am finding joy in this.

Whoooaa. Lol.

One religious contradiction i will never be able to get over is the shroud of turin that one is something i fundamentally believe religion has wrong

How can it be taken out of context when the bible is the literal translation of the word of god?

These threads are sad. They always end up with those who believe in God having to defend themselves against the relentless attacks from the non believers.

Yeah, but I personally don't mind being in a difficult ethical/religious debate pinned against several other people.

These threads are sad. They always end up with those who believe in God having to defend themselves against the relentless attacks from the non believers.

Why can't we just agree to disagree. Religion doesn't cause nearly as many problems as people trying to make others follow their religion.

For example, I'm personally Atheist, but I don't go around trying to make others believe it. Believe what you want, but don't try to make anyone feel how you feel because it will just cause problems.

Just a question does it talk about other planets at all in the bible? Like Ive heard how god created the earth and the heavens and all the beasts and humans and all that but does it say anywhere in the bible about Saturn, Jupiter, Uranus, Pluto or anything about them?

Just a question does it talk about other planets at all in the bible? Like Ive heard how god created the earth and the heavens and all the beasts and humans and all that but does it say anywhere in the bible about Saturn, Jupiter, Uranus, Pluto or anything about them?

if I ask you to point to the heavens you point to the sky.

planets are contained within the celestial heavens, when the bible was written we'll have called anything above the height that you could climb, jump or be thrown to as the heavens.

it's a lignustic perculiarity

genesis ch1

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
note said:
- Firmament

from the Vulgate firmamentum, which is used as the translation of the Hebrew raki'a

This word means simply “expansion.” It denotes the space or expanse

9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

I think that just about covers it...
the 1st 17 verses of the first book of the bible says god made the earth, seas, heavens, sun moon and stars.

God made them, yet didn't name them, man gave names to the stars and consolations.

also see vs 14, stars to denote seasons displays how the night sky changes as the sun revolves around the earth, thus we see different stars in the sky at different times of year etc,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom