Newly upgraded desktop very slow after...

cbachinger

In Runtime
I have just bought a new low performance but brand new Isus P5GC-MX/1333 motherboard, with a new Intel Pentium dual Core processor with 4GB of memory.

It was lightning fast naturally after testing it at the shop but after updating all soft/hardware from windows update, the computer suddenly seemed to take a lot of pressure.

My suspiscions are the .Net Framework version 2 and 3 SP2 (180MB each) programs and Norton. But surely with the boost of processor and memory power should override any such demanding programs. This desktop has a dogged history of being slow from turning on to turning off.

Other large programs are cyberlink powerdvd 9 (188MB), Office XP standard (147MB), windows live essentials (128MB), adobe reader 8.0 (128MB), HP photo and imaging (110MB), compatibilty pack for office 2007 (102MB), Java 6 update 11 (90MB).

The 38GB HD is 1/3 full.

Any suggestions?

windows update.... need I say more.
Probably.:rolleyes:

Try getting the latest updates for ALL drivers, Window updates.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:
  • Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
  • Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.

no I meant that windows update wreaked the havock.... my lappie did the same thing after I installed them.... decreased speed by 60 percent it seemed.

no I meant that windows update wreaked the havock.... my lappie did the same thing after I installed them.... decreased speed by 60 percent it seemed.
Not always.. Most of them you don't even notice. Some really help and some don't mix well with compatibility.

Sooo, Windows Update is NOT the answer? Well as i said, after i was almost fully updated from the site, i was aware of the computer suddenly slowing down. The last major updates i remember were the compatability packs and possibly the .NET framework SPs because i have many of them, they do not erase previous SPs and they are big too.

Back
Top Bottom