Network Attached Storage - Raid-1 Question

ErdricK

In Runtime
I have a NAS Unit (DNS-323) with two 500gb Hard Drives in it and its setup as Raid-1. Once a week I want to back the unit up and store it outside my place (Incase of fire, theft etc..)

Anyways backing it up is a pain in the ass, I was using an external hard drive and just dragging and dropping the files on to it which takes forever.

Tell me if this would work.....I would buy a third hard drive and once a week I would swap out one of the drives in the unit and replace it with the extra and the rebuilt the raid...that way the extra I take out each week would already contain all the files on it and I would just store that drive out of my place for a secure backup copy.

Can that work? does it take a long time to rebuild my drives? also, while its rebuilding do you think it would still serve files?

I have a NAS Unit (DNS-323) with two 500gb Hard Drives in it and its setup as Raid-1. Once a week I want to back the unit up and store it outside my place (Incase of fire, theft etc..)

Anyways backing it up is a pain in the ass, I was using an external hard drive and just dragging and dropping the files on to it which takes forever.

Tell me if this would work.....I would buy a third hard drive and once a week I would swap out one of the drives in the unit and replace it with the extra and the rebuilt the raid...that way the extra I take out each week would already contain all the files on it and I would just store that drive out of my place for a secure backup copy.

Can that work? does it take a long time to rebuild my drives? also, while its rebuilding do you think it would still serve files?

It would depend upon how much data your talking about I would expect it to be an overnight kind of thing to rebuild the mirroring. I don't think that that is the best way to backup your data. I would suggest setting up a script that you can click on when you want to back up the files. Simple and easy, but you should still move the backup off site if the data is mission critical.

Thanks for the input.

What I did to ease the pain was upgrade everything to Gigabit connections. My backup to an external HD is now not so painful hehe

Back
Top Bottom