The Pursuit of Happinnes - Finding my dream computer! :D

Ludichris1

Baseband Member
Hi it's me again :)

Sigh let's get started...

Ok, I've been wanting to get a new computer for AGES. Why you might ask? Take a look at this:

GeForce... it's below the 6 series I know that
Windows XP Home Edition SP2
256MB RAM
Intel Pentium 4 1.5GHz

SEE WHAT I MEAN!?

Oh and beforehand it was SP1, but when I got internet, I needed SP2 for AVG-Free, and once everything was installed, the PC turtle arrived. It LITERALLY takes 9 minutes to start up and load everything on the computer! And there are messed up settings and... I need a FRESH start.

First, I'll tell you what I'm looking for in a computer:
Gaming: First off, I don't mean like the 8 gigs of RAM and the Intel Core i7 cpu, I'm talking about more about an average gamer. I was planning on running something with graphics such as the Unreal Tournament 3's recommended system requirements:
-Windows XP/Windows Vista
-2GB RAM
-AMD Athlon X2 (64 X2 is same thing) 4400+
-8GB HDD
-GeForce 8600GT

Multimedia Production: I don't know how strong I am in this interest but, I was planning on making 2D and 3D games (though I might just make 3D mods lol). I know I don't need a super computer for making 2D games, but if you take a look at one of the newest game makers (click here), you'll notice that not even my current computer could do that. Anyways, moving on to 3D game making; I might just use something like FPS Creator, but I want a computer I can use for my college and etc. in the future when I'm MUCH BETTER. Currently, my idea was to modd for now. With probably this type of graphics lol (click here) since I'm not that good at art.

PC Basics:
You know, like word-processing, internet, e-mail, etc. Though I can obviously do this with any computer really :D

Now, my idea of the specs for this PC, would come out like this. Please note that I'm looking for a max budget of $350; $300 preferably. Oh and also some stuff can be upgraded like from a 350watt psu to 420watt psu or a GeForce 6100 to a GeForce 9500GT:
-Windows Vista Home Premium
-2GB RAM (or more)
-AMD Athlon X2 4400+ (or more)
-NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT
-160GB HDD (or more)

Now please help me find my dream computer...

HELP THE N00B!!

First off, thanks for giving us lots of info. Most people's first posts are more like:
"o hai guise i need a new pc n e recommendations k tnx bye"

You can probably put together something a lot better than your current system even with such a small budget. You will need everything though and it's unlikely you'll be able to salvage anything, except the disk drive and the OS. I'd recommend you salvage the OS or else it will really eat into your budget.

CPU: 5000+ X2
Mobo: 780G
RAM: 2x2GB DDR2 800
GPU: HD 4670
PSU: OCZ 400
HDD: WD 160GB
Case: CM Elite 330

If you build your own computer, you won't be able to afford the OS license within the $350 hardware cost. Personally I'd stick with XP right now as Windows 7 (which will run on the above mentioned hardware) is going to be released by christmas, and even possibly by the end of summer.

I'd recomend what worshipme said, with the changes prodigy also suggested. However I'd make sure to buy a 2x2GB RAM kit as 4GB is a huge advantage, and if you buy it in 2GB sticks, its nearly the same price however you can easily upgrade to 8GB in the future.

Truly marvelous guys! All you guys' advice really helped. I might fancy try finding me own parts, but ya'll gave excellent choices! Especially you, worship. I agree with you prodigy, GeForce all the way! ;) And the thing with the OS seems pretty sufficient for time being, though I don't know how I'll rack up $110 for a better OS (let alone DX10).

But I got three problems:
1. I said my budget was $350, but I only got $150 ($200 by September); but I can use my X-mas and B-day money to cover the rest.

2. About the CD/RW drive... I got bad news: Only a month ago, I had been playing a game called Command & Conquer Renegade. I had left the CD in the PC, but I had to go to bed real fast, (parents ;)) and so I just held down the power button on the console to turn it off. I don't know why, I don't know how, but when I turned on the computer the next day, all of the sudden I hear this loud grinding and crunching noise. I open the CD drive and the CD is ripped to literally shreds! I managed to fet most of the pieces out (hopefully all of them). Nowadays it doesn't open automatically via the button anymore, and it opens and closes several times when you turn on the computer. Thankfully the DVD drive is still intact. I dare not put a CD in the CD/RW drive. 'Tis to dangerous.

3. Alas I have never assembled/dissassembled a computer before. I read on how-to, but never put my little knowledge of the subject into action. Thabkfully, I have my Dad and an older friend that's a computer guy (geek is too evil lol) that can help me dearly. Who knows? Maybe he has another.. heh heh.. computer seat (how many PCs a program can be installed on) for any Windows Vista CDs he might lend me.. heh heh...

Anyways, that's all folks! :D

yeah, i was amazed when i was selecting parts for my dad's new build, how incredibly CHEAP everything was.. i mean, a dual core AMD @2.7ghz was like 100+ last year, i was just left speechless.... but you are right, the operating system does cut into the cost of it.... im trying to run windows 7 on the new one... because im cheap ^.^

how would you go about salvaging an operating system... i can never figure this out??

yeah, i was amazed when i was selecting parts for my dad's new build, how incredibly CHEAP everything was.. i mean, a dual core AMD @2.7ghz was like 100+ last year, i was just left speechless.... but you are right, the operating system does cut into the cost of it.... im trying to run windows 7 on the new one... because im cheap ^.^

how would you go about salvaging an operating system... i can never figure this out??

Usually when you purcahse a computer an install disk and CD key are provided. However most newer computers, they just give you "recovery" media which are locked to the computer. However, you can use software that reveals your product key, write it down and reinstall windows with that key, provided you have a disc.

Usually when you purcahse a computer an install disk and CD key are provided. However most newer computers, they just give you "recovery" media which are locked to the computer. However, you can use software that reveals your product key, write it down and reinstall windows with that key, provided you have a disc.

SWEET.... i still have my vista key... though that is only 32 bit....

wait... if i reinstall it, wouldnt the cd key pop up as used??

Back
Top Bottom