God gets owned:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half of these are so immature its not worth responding to

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

Jesus died for us therefore anyone living after he died need not make animal sacrifices

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

Why would you want to touch a dead pig?

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

In Bible times salves were common and the bible instructs they must be treaded fairly - rather like a butler or maid - the word 'slave' has a different meaning to us today since the african slave trade etc.

Dear Lord,

Where to even begin? I find this article to be quite funny although at times to be offensive because the guy has no idea what he is talking about. He quotes Leviticus numerous times and makes some very immature, sarcastic remarks about things he should understand, but I guess doesn't.

Let me start off by quoting Hebrews 8:7 and 13. Verse 7 says for if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another. But God found fault with the people and said..." This means that since the people could not obey God's commands and live a holy life, he made a new convenant with different laws that is much more merciful. Verse 13 says By calling this covenant 'new', he has made the first one obsolete and aging will soon disappear. Old testament laws are now obsolete to Christians with the exception of the ten commandments which was stated as always part of the law by Jesus in the Gospels.

So whats the point of those two verses above? Everything in leviticus is obsolete. This guy Jim, needs to do some more reading and find an intelligent argument.

What was the purpose of the laws in leviticus, Deuteronomy, and in some parts Numbers? The people back in those days most likely had no idea of sanitation. Im sure they had no concept of washing hands every time you touch your genitals to prevent the spread of diseases. As for the dead pig skin, its not law today that you can't touch a freshly deceased pig carcass but my goodness, it goes against common sense to touch it. Im sure that dead animals and such, had diseases far beyond the cure of any medicine in that time frame. Hence the law, do not touch dead pig skin. As for the football remark... LOL don't you know that the pig skin (the bladder) on footballs was sterilized and cleaned before used? umm DUH! rofl I can't believe im having to argue against this. Nowadays, pig skin or more commonly called a "FOOTBALL" (ˈfu̇t-ˌbȯl), is made out of vulcanized rubber.

Same concept goes with a woman on her period. We have the common sense to NOT touch objects with our hands that have been in contact with urine, semen, or even blood. Its just dirty. You wash your hands. Back in Moses' day, they didn't have hand sanitizer folks.

On to the sabbath... Oooo this causes some debate even among Christians. Jesus and even his closest followers observed and kept the sabbath, however Paul did not at times. Paul did not, because during the time there was no record of him observing it, he was preaching to the gentiles who ALSO did not observe the sabbath. We reason that he did not observe it because there was no record that he did, unlike when he was preaching to the Jews, who were mandated under old testament laws to keep the sabbath, even though Jesus and the book Hebrews, along with other books in the Bible made the old testament obsolete.

This also raises an interesting question that you should do whatever is culturally neccesary to reach the people in that nation. What if a nation is homosexual? Seriously, what if they all, like Sodom and Gommorah made every new visitor come out and have sex with the population of the city when it was mostly males? Fortunately this does not happen but in any case, homosexuality is still forbidden. AS ARE ALL FORMS of sexual immorality. DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND ME!!!! I HATE sin. I do NOT hate the person. I love them even though they are doing things against my beliefs. I do things I don't wish to do, its our nature.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolates nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy no drunkards no slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is was some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

I want to bring up a personal opinion here. I hate how much bad wrap the homosexual people get, how much judgement drunkards get from "sunday christians" and i can't stand how many people don't realize that being a Christian does not make you perfect and you still fall short of the glory of God.

Yes homosexuality is a sin. Yes adultery is too. Lust is. Having sex before marriage is as well. Christians should not judge people and SHOULD get their own lives in order before casting the stone.

John 8:7
When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If anyone of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.

"Let he without sin, cast the first stone."

Im not without sin, definitely not. I try to be but I come up wayyyy short.

Sorry yet again if this post was scattered, I have so many points I would LIKE to cover but I try and keep it on topic. Before you accuse me of being a "self-righteous sanctimonious little prick" please know that Im stating my beliefs, a response and answers that was requested, and above all, I am not judging ANYONE here by their lifestyle of their beliefs. Do i wish some would change however? Don't we all.

"We can still love each other and talk about it" - Flame (Christian Rapper) :D

Rubber see your inbox.

Anyways some of you are way over looking the point that guy was trying to make. A lot of these crazy Christians say we should follow the bible word for word. He is simply pointing out the crappy kind of world we'd live in if we did.

Rubber see your inbox.

Anyways some of you are way over looking the point that guy was trying to make. A lot of these crazy Christians say we should follow the bible word for word. He is simply pointing out the crappy kind of world we'd live in if we did.

However most like deathbank pick and choose, which you can tell by looking at his reasonings for it.

Deathbank, why do you pick and choose things of the bible. Not being around things like blood and dead animals was common sense than. Back in the same days, there was a big problem with population, people died off quickly and died of many things we can stop today. So as you can see, it was beneficial to reproduce quickly, hence why the bible / church / whatever doesn't appear to like "homosexuality". Fast forward to today, overpopulation is a huge problem. Why can't this rule be changed too? It's no longer needed nowadays.

MY 2CENTS
The Bible is a set of "rules" (which I think behave more as guidelines) that was written hundreds of years ago. Those "rules" reflected the society of that time. Chris has pointed out the complications that it holds today.

My conclusion: At some point, religions that follow specific "rules" such as Christianity will die. They cannot handle the stress of an evolving society. Based on this, I think I made the right choice by choosing Deism.

However most like deathbank pick and choose, which you can tell by looking at his reasonings for it.

Deathbank, why do you pick and choose things of the bible. Not being around things like blood and dead animals was common sense than. Back in the same days, there was a big problem with population, people died off quickly and died of many things we can stop today. So as you can see, it was beneficial to reproduce quickly, hence why the bible / church / whatever doesn't appear to like "homosexuality". Fast forward to today, overpopulation is a huge problem. Why can't this rule be changed too? It's no longer needed nowadays.

I'm not sure I understand your label of "picking and choosing". Are you referring to me of picking and choosing personally preferred examples out of the Bible? It'd be a rather long post if I gave EVERY example I could find so therefore I use the simplest amount I can. You're right, people did die off very quickly and God's rules and laws in those Old Testament chapters were observed to sustain longer life. Not to sound like some of those apocalytpic hardcorists but the reason you stated about the earth becoming over-populated is an indirect sign that the end is coming. Nothing survives forever, and I doubt the human race will. Marriage was not meant for reproduction, or specifically for sexual acts (Im not saying you view it that way either), it was a form of being complete with another person along with God. A sign of a top-notch relationship designed for men and women. Man was alone, so God's solution was to create woman, not another man. Adam and Eve. :D

"A lot of these crazy Christians say we should follow the bible word for word. He is simply pointing out the crappy kind of world we'd live in if we did."

The New Testament preaches love, respect, and kindness to one another. I fail to see how if everyone followed this word for word, how our world would be crappy.

MY 2CENTS
The Bible is a set of "rules" (which I think behave more as guidelines) that was written hundreds of years ago. Those "rules" reflected the society of that time. Chris has pointed out the complications that it holds today.

My conclusion: At some point, religions that follow specific "rules" such as Christianity will die. They cannot handle the stress of an evolving society. Based on this, I think I made the right choice by choosing Deism.

It's lasted for about 2,000+ years so far... I'd say we've got some momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom