help backing up files

nine7six9seven6

Beta member
I want to backup my audio collection to another hd on my network. The problem I'm having is that I've already backed it up before and I have new files. I really don't want to wait 10 hours to write over all the files again. I store my music in folders Music>Artist>Album. I've already manually went through all the artist folders and added the new ones but I want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Is there a way to transfer only the files\folders that don't currently exist without replacing the whole artist folder or check the hds against themselves?

When you try to copy a file where an existing one with the same name exists, Windows will ask you if you want to overwrite the files. When this message box appears, there is an option to say "No to all". When you click this, all the duplicate files you'd attempt to copy will be skipped.

you could also use this which will backup all your files. The first time is the longest once that is done it checks to see if the file has been changed and only copies those files

@echo on
echo ### Backing up My Documents...
xcopy /s /c /d /h /i /r /y %USERPROFILE%\\Documents c:\backup\Document
echo ### Backing up Pictures
xcopy /s /c /d /h /i /r /y %USERPROFILE%\\Pictures c:\Backup\Pictures
echo ### Backing up Favorites...
xcopy /s /c /d /h /i /r /y %USERPROFILE%\Favorites c:\Backup\Favorites
echo ### Backing up the Registry...
attrib -h c:\backup
if not exist c:\Backup\Registry mkdir c:\backup\Registry
if exist c:\Backup\Registry\regbackup.reg del c:\Backup\Registry\regbackup.reg
regedit /e c:\backup\Registry\regbackup.reg
attrib +h c:\backup

copy this code into notepad and save it as backup.bat or whatever you want .bat
it will automatically hide the file after it runs
hope this makes it easier

in case i missed anything in here there should only be one \ for directory paths
no ;
no " "
and no system commands
took this from a c++ program i wrote

You could use Microsoft SyncToy 2.0. Wow, that's the 2nd time i've mentioned it in the last 15 minutes :p

Back
Top Bottom