I'm in bit of a pickle.

rohan23

Fully Optimized
I sold a computer to a previous customer of mine for $550 with a mouse, keyboard and monitor. He payed me $50 for getting the parts together and promised me the rest when it was built and delivered to him. We never signed any contract because I worked with him and people said he was a nice guy. A month and a half later, I still can't get in touch with him. I do have taped conversations with his friends admitting he owes me $500. If I went to the court with this, what are my chances of winning that case with the proof I have now? His roommates said I could just come by tomorrow, use their key and just take the computer. I don't know if that is legal or not. But, I just want to know what my options are/my chances in court with the proof I have.

First off, when you talk about legality you should mention what country, as the laws are not the same in all countrys.

You'll need to go buy the numbers on this or you'll come out on the short end of the stick.
If you plan to seize the computer make sure one or more of the room mates are there when you nab it. If not don't take the risk. Take him to small claims court.
BTW has any of his friends or room mates said any thing about if he plans to stiff you?

roommate gives you the key and permission to take the computer. You are fine. They can't prove which roommate it belongs to. Therefore as soon as you have consent of the roommate your golden.

well i wouldnt personally go and take the computer for 2 reasons
1) i am not sure about the law over there but over here doing that could get you charged with theft and or burgulary
2) then you will have lost out anyway because yyou will have to sell it on as used and wont be able to get the $500 that you paid out for it thats why i would take him to court so you can get your money back

that it confusing. I am not really sure where you stand...regarding legality.

Yeah, it is.

First off, when you talk about legality you should mention what country, as the laws are not the same in all countrys.

United States.

You'll need to go buy the numbers on this or you'll come out on the short end of the stick.
If you plan to seize the computer make sure one or more of the room mates are there when you nab it. If not don't take the risk. Take him to small claims court.
BTW has any of his friends or room mates said any thing about if he plans to stiff you?

I have a video recording of a phone conversation between the roommate and me regarding me just taking the computer from him. He is the one who suggested the idea. I'm going to video tape the whole experience from walking in the door to reconfirming it with his roommate.

roommate gives you the key and permission to take the computer. You are fine. They can't prove which roommate it belongs to. Therefore as soon as you have consent of the roommate your golden.

I already have his consent and I have that part of the conversation recorded. Are you sure about this?

well i wouldnt personally go and take the computer for 2 reasons
1) i am not sure about the law over there but over here doing that could get you charged with theft and or burgulary
2) then you will have lost out anyway because yyou will have to sell it on as used and wont be able to get the $500 that you paid out for it thats why i would take him to court so you can get your money back

1) Would I if they share an apartment and I have the consent of an owner?
2) I would rather have the computer back and give it to my sister or something. I'm already out $500. Why not take it back and put it to good use?

Why not ask one of his roommates to contact you the next time he is home and then go around and talk to him?.

2) I would rather have the computer back and give it to my sister or something. I'm already out $500. Why not take it back and put it to good use?

1) again im not too sure of the law in the USA but over here even if you have the consent of a roomate it could still lead to you being charged with theft and or burgulary but thats in the UK im not sure about USA
2) Beause if you take him to court you would be able to get the $500 and possibly some compensation for yourself

Yeah, it is.

United States.

I have a video recording of a phone conversation between the roommate and me regarding me just taking the computer from him. He is the one who suggested the idea. I'm going to video tape the whole experience from walking in the door to reconfirming it with his roommate.

I already have his consent and I have that part of the conversation recorded. Are you sure about this?

Yup. But if you are not comfortable with it. You can do what lowndsey said. And warn him "Yo dude.. You know.. Man I just lost my job if you can't pay me soon I'm going to have to take the computer back."

See is reaction. Wait a week. If nothing. Take the computer. You have consent so you can't be charged with Breaking and entering or trespassing. You didn't sign any contract, or receipt. So he has absolutely no proof that he even owns the computer. let alone bought it.

Back
Top Bottom