Linux

Using ubuntu 9.04 atm. I like that you don't have to use the terminal for everything but still alot of things need it. That is just a big waste of time when trying to install things.

for me it's like this

installing a program

Windows computer: download file click the setup then the program gets installed really easy.

linux computer: Download file, search google for how to install it or ask in a linux forum then wait for a reply then install the program.

So right now I have vista and ubuntu on my computer as well as test other distros in a virtual machine to learn more about them.

It's not difficult at all. Finding the program you need takes very little time then it's usually a matter of running sudo apt-get install [program name]. You shouldn't have to ask on a forum.

The majority of software offer package files than install easier than windows files do. As well as these packages are often available through apt-get

If that fails, you just download the source,
tar -zxvf program.tar.gz
cd program
./configure
make
make install

And voila, successful install of software in most cases.

I should dual boot this HDD.

I wonder if its possible to boot both OS at once and use one on each of my monitors.

Nah.

Funny you mention that. I read an article on lifehacker where someone was able to simulate that. Looks like it will be happening soon. I tried finding a link to it would have to ask a friend of mine he found it the other day and showed it to me.

I should dual boot this HDD.

I wonder if its possible to boot both OS at once and use one on each of my monitors.

Nah.

You could run it inside a virtual machine and put the VM onto the other monitor.

That should let you access the host hard drive.

I love Linux... My server atm is running Fedora 8.. I am thinking about going to either 9 or 10... RedHat is better in someways then Fedora...
Ubuntu, I personally do not like to much... Great for those who are new, but otherwise, I do not like it...
Debian isn't bad.. I like Linux Mint, I haven't tried Felicia though....
Slackware is alright, but not for beginners.
Arch I have not tried, much less heard of...
Though I am a very big fan of Solaris...

I used to use Blobayon (Sabayon), but like the title said, it's bloatware and very unstable.
Ubuntu, I need to give a spin at 9.04, ut my only true distro that I kept with me was openSUSE.

On guaranteed thing...when I have to good equippement, screw windows MCE, LinuxMCE is the real deal. Like the slogan says...It's all about the media, stupid!

Sabayon, their products I have tried but never liked.... As you said very unstable...
SUSE though is a good one...

Back
Top Bottom