Pre-made vs coded from scratch forum/cms software

Have you thought of how much manpower it takes to build your own content management system? Joomla and Drupal are collections of hundreds of thousands of hours of programmers time everywhere. In order to build anything comparable from scratch, it will take hundreds if not thousands of hours to get close to the feature set

I really don't think the vast majority of people really care whether or not a particular forum is hand coded or created from a precompiled CMS. The only things users are mainly concerned with are appearance, ease of use and loading speeds.

There's is nothing "wrong" with combining open source material with a CMS compiled site.

I really don't think the vast majority of people really care whether or not a particular forum is hand coded or created from a precompiled CMS. The only things users are mainly concerned with are appearance, ease of use and loading speeds.

There's is nothing "wrong" with combining open source material with a CMS compiled site.

Which, ironically are the three things that Burn420's site is lacking! Haha

Seti - I have only gotten in one person's face. Other then that I have just simply tried to explain my curiosity or something of the sort. But your right you do your thing I will do mine. But if someone is asking for help that will take more then just a few seconds to read and respond, then I will voice my opinion upon the work I may be willing to do, and or the reasons upon which that work may be needed or wanted.

j03 - Though you may be correct about receiving help for broken code... But if code is that popular; guaranteed it has far more known or unknown exploits then my isolated code.
Ha I just took a look at that, I stopped working on what is up... Though I thought I changed it from the bmp, apparently I didn't.; not like I care about it... Within the next month all of what is up will no longer be up, plus I am getting an actual domain name so ya. The only thing I do with the old version, is check how many visits I have, and clear my guestbook of spam...
Edit: The link j03 provided, was the person I have been referencing...

Also, May I reccomend a Captcha? ReCaptcha is very easy to install if you have even a limited knowledge of PHP! You proberbly wont have any problem with it...

DJ-Chris - I have thought about it... I have made more then a couple on my own...

Atomic - Exactly, "There is nothing wrong with using open source material with a CMS compiled site"; my point exactly, that is what I was trying to get across (of course in different words) in the tutorial hosting topic.

j03 - I love how you keep bringing things like that up about my site... I wonder though, have you taken a look at what I recently did? and am still in the process of doing? Which by the way after some deliberating with my colleague I have decided to re-design a few things prior to launching it...
I have though about coding my own ReCaptcha system... Otherwise, it hasn't become to much of an issue for me ...
Anything else you want to suggest? I could use em...

Atomic - Exactly, "There is nothing wrong with using open source material with a CMS compiled site"; my point exactly, that is what I was trying to get across (of course in different words) in the tutorial hosting topic.

At first, you implied using a CMS is fine for those who have no idea what they're doing. Now that you've clarified everything, I see no reason to continue this debate.

DJ-Chris - I have thought about it... I have made more then a couple on my own...

j03 - I love how you keep bringing things like that up about my site... I wonder though, have you taken a look at what I recently did? and am still in the process of doing? Which by the way after some deliberating with my colleague I have decided to re-design a few things prior to launching it...
I have though about coding my own ReCaptcha system... Otherwise, it hasn't become to much of an issue for me ...
Anything else you want to suggest? I could use em...

You needn't code your own ReCaptcha. ReCaptcha is a system in it's self - you are helping to read book's by verifiying your human-ness :D. You could code your own captcha though - it's not hard to do. You'll need to use the GD Image library, and the php rand(); function ;).

The one you made that's on the website in your sig is tbh horrid to me. Joomla or drupal is far more than something where a user logs in and a few more lines of text are added to a site.

Captcha then my bad for the misconception lmao... Yea I figure when I feel it will be a good necessity, I will code it lol... Just as I coded my own browser identifier lol...

Dj-Chris - Your right what is up right now is horrid... The first version of it was even worse though...

Back
Top Bottom