Favourite thing about new operating systems..

Im using DOS at the moment on my Thin Client (To install XPE) and i was just thinking how much people take modern day operating systems for granted! So while im waiting for my files to copy,i was thinking i could kill the time with an interesting question,

What is your favourite feature about modern day Operating systems?

Mine would have to be the fact that i dont have to type in any commands anymore :D

I agree that the GUI has changed the way that people use an OS.

But, looking from a different point of view, I would say that the wide verity of resources is what really gets me. I mean look at this forum for instance. I know that it has been around for a while, but there are a lot of similar forums, and help sites and the like that have started with people that want to help the common man or woman with their computer problems. That is what I really enjoy about the common OS.

Man, I can remember dos 6.22 and windows 3.11 for workgroups, that's what my first computer had on it.

Probably my favorite feature about OS's today is not having to type in commands also. Just point and click on whatever you want.

lol, i'd have to say that my favorite thing about OS's would be the speed increase through bit size. i cant remember the older ones but we went from 16 to 32 to 64 and with each increase the time it takes to start the OS(windows) and load programs is shortened. i do have help books still around for DOS when my dad went to college lol, in fact they are sitting beside me :D

I think you should be focussing on the fundamentals, like the PID and RAD algorithms as well as the invocation of safe states.

Also, disk scheduling algorithms are important, as are the implementation of mutexes, semaphores, monitors and other concurrency concepts, as well as the correct handling of critical sections.

I feel that eye-candy is all good but if the cake underneath is undercooked the whole thing falls over and is generally poop.

Kinda like jumping in your old clunker and twisting the key. It's not pretty but it runs...

Back
Top Bottom