video card installation

jbarnes35

Solid State Member
I never really got into hardware, i have a pretty basic knowledge. My strengths lie in software such as editing and gaming. Anyway i just had a friend build me a new computer and I've run into trouble. I installed final fantasy VIII pc version on it and after browsing countless threads and getting absolutely no help from the company i deduced that my video card is to advanced for it, im using a NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT. the main problem is this game was released in '98 or '99 and used 8 bit textures which my video card cant do so it causes the game to freeze and crash. i'm curious is anyone has any solutions or idea's.

my main idea is to try installing my old computers video card in it but i have no idea how to go about doing that. My last resort would be a KVM switch

Hello,

Unless I've never heard of such a happening, a new video card will not be too advanced to run an older game. The case that usually exists for these types of problems is that the game isn't compatible on newer operating systems. For example, some games made for Windows 95 will have trouble running on Vista.

It sounds like your situation is a bit different since you actually have the game running. Can you give us any more information about the computer you're using? Operating system?

Yep, most likely non-compatible with your operating system. Check the system requirements of the game.

You can only try to right click hit properties and set compatibility to windows XP or 2000

yeah right now i'm running the beta of windows 7 (it rocks btw). thats exactly what i thought until i checked up on a few other forums its compatible with vista and 7 takes the exact same coding, its a less intrusive clunky version if you haven't tried. I managed to get a program to eliminate most of the problems. except the problems i have now this is a screenshot of the the ff8 configuration for graphics.
3493354433_098bc0f20e.jpg

EDIT: after little searching i found the main forum i was talking about.http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=4908

Back
Top Bottom