dell inspiron 530 graphics card question

motostu93

Baseband Member
i have a 530 and was just wondering what styl/size graphics card goes in it. i have a integrated one right now and am going to put in a new graphics card. im not exactly sure what size i need.i think its a plcle or somethin, few people have told me regular and some say i need the slim size one. my card port is 4" wide. i couldn't find any dimensions on graphics cards. on the dell website they show a ATI HD 4670 512mb. however it doesn't say what size it is and i know that my tower/box is skinnier/smaller than normal towers/boxes. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.:D

correction this is what the dell site says. how ever im still unclear as to what card i need.

1 PCIex16

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=ddcwda1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=productdetails~inspndt_530

thats the link to were i found out about the card

yahh thats what i saw and thought that, that should work just wanted to check. are you 1005 sure thats right? and also under the advanced search on newegg you can select "low profile" or "low profile ready", are they both the same thing?

Yup, I'm positive you'll need a low profile card.

A "low profile ready" card is a video card that comes with both standard and low profile mounting brackets that you can switch if needed.

is the SAPPHIRE 100253HDMI compatible with direct x10? it says 10.1 so im just wondering sry about these dumb questions i just really dont want to get the wrong card. i need this card for flight simulator x acceleration. it uses direct x10, also if i get the SAPPHIRE 100253HDMI u recommended what size power supply should i get?

ohh yahh and one more thing about the link i posted about the card i found its 1 gig and the one you recomended is 512mb, so would the 1 gig be better. maybe im not seeing something that obvious but seems like 1 gig is better. the chipsets are different manufacturers too, just wondering?

and also does the memory type matter that much? is GDDR3 better than GDDR3?

is the SAPPHIRE 100253HDMI compatible with direct x10? it says 10.1 so im just wondering sry about these dumb questions i just really dont want to get the wrong card. i need this card for flight simulator x acceleration. it uses direct x10, also if i get the SAPPHIRE 100253HDMI u recommended what size power supply should i get?

ohh yahh and one more thing about the link i posted about the card i found its 1 gig and the one you recomended is 512mb, so would the 1 gig be better. maybe im not seeing something that obvious but seems like 1 gig is better. the chipsets are different manufacturers too, just wondering?

and also does the memory type matter that much? is GDDR3 better than GDDR3?

dx 10.1 can use dx 10 :)
more memory is typically better for larger monitors because of the resolution
so 1gb>512mb for larger resolutions, I don't think you would see a difference on a smaller sized monitor
and you're comparing the same thing..GDDR3 vs. GDDR3
but because I'm not a jerk....a larger number..say GDDR5, is better than GDDR3,
I bet someone else can explain why
As for your power supply, I don't know about that either

dx 10.1 can use dx 10 :)
more memory is typically better for larger monitors because of the resolution
so 1gb>512mb for larger resolutions, I don't think you would see a difference on a smaller sized monitor
and you're comparing the same thing..GDDR3 vs. GDDR3
but because I'm not a jerk....a larger number..say GDDR5, is better than GDDR3,
I bet someone else can explain why
As for your power supply, I don't know about that either
yahh i have a 22" viewsonic so im think that 1gig would be better. heres the 2 ive narrowed it down to.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187065
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102829

what do you guys think i should get?

P.S.- sry for the rant but its really fricken annoying when manufacturers dont put what wattage of power supply is needed.

seeing as i am only 16 and have to pay for ALL of my computer equipment im on a kinda limited budget.

so when i get my new card im gonna need a power supply with some more watties(wattage) and im not sure and couldn't figure out from looking at the power supply in my comp right now exactly what type i have? not sure if its a ATX, ATX/BTX, ATX12V, ATX12V/EPS12V, MicroATX, EPS12V?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129117

thats what im thinking now that i know what i know. should work right? and it says it only needs a 300 watt PSU. my dell has a 320 watt so will that work fine this card or do i need to get a new PSU?

well Ive finalized my parts that im getting.

going with
VisionTek 900225 Radeon HD 3650 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

and with regards to a power supply it says it only need a 300 watt or greater PSU. my dell has a 320 so i should be good. right?

if not i think all get this PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16817709011

There's only one problem with the Visiontek card you chose, it's a standard height card and wont fit in your case.

After further review, your Dell has only a 250 Watt Power Supply. So your probably going to be stuck with something like an HD 3450 or Nvidia 8400GS series card. It will be near impossible to find a high wattage power supply to fit the Dell slim line case.

Back
Top Bottom