Virus/spyware removal with geeksquad

david90

In Runtime
How does GeekSquad remove spyware and virus from people's computer? Do they just run virus/spyware scanners? Since they are professionals, I would expect them to do more. In addition, I don't think the scanners can remove all the virus and spywares

They basically just run disk cleanups and virus scans. They do what you can at home with a decent program.

They run a disc called MRI, which is basically a cd with an assortment of utilities. No really technical stuff goes on in geeksquad. Like rohan said, you can do much of GS services at home with some computer knowledge and some good programs.

As there is a lot of programsbeing advertised, which ones would some of you recommend? I kind of think McAffe and Norton are flukes but then again, I've never really had to reformat because of spyware/viruses so I wouldn't know. What programs are good system cleaners?

Do your research, also, do us all a favor by not going to the geeksquad.

As there is a lot of programsbeing advertised, which ones would some of you recommend? I kind of think McAffe and Norton are flukes but then again, I've never really had to reformat because of spyware/viruses so I wouldn't know. What programs are good system cleaners?

X-Cleaner
Malwarebytes
Ad-Aware
AVG
Anti-Vir

Start with running those. After you run those programs, they usually grab what's there.

They just install and run Norton no? That's what I heard.

Don't use geek squad, they charge too much for simple stuff.

We here at CF will be your geek squad for free.

I recommend, Avast, or AVG for anti-virus.. And Spyware Terminator, and Adaware, for anti-spyware.... Spyware Terminator, I have not found an equal too.... Though it is said that programs like SuperAntiSpyware is better then Adaware, in fact, SAS found nothing more then Adaware... Malwarebytes is not good for any 64bit os... Spybot S&D can not even pick up on half of what SAS or Adaware can... Yet Spyware Terminator finds things that non of the above will...
As for anti-virus, Avast was the first and still the best for real-time protection. Avast Home (free) has a higher support then Norton, Mgafee, ect.. Avast Professional (costs), has even more support then Home... AVG is the only one I have found to be in any way comparable to Avast... Though I will say that Trend Micro products do normally have a high level of support, but I have found things with Avast the TM doesn't find...
Forgot to mention... Geek squad uses Kaspersky for anti-virus... The methods of which Geek squad uses is completely and utterly bs... Using Avast and Spyware Terminator is much more secure then that of what Geek Squad uses... Plus most of them don't even have a knowledge base of A+ Certification... They take weeks to do a job that should only take hours.... They charge out the arse for work that is as simple as click click... I have gone to many different Geek Squad agents, and none of which have been able to show me even a little bit of actual computer knowledge outside a regular computer end user... I highly doubt I will ever be satisfied by them....
Also to note, you will get better tech service by calling up Charter and having them walk you through their monkey scripts, then you would from Geek Squad... Though Charter's techs are not worth much of anything either... I have only encountered 2 of their techs that have a good base knowledge of computers...

Back
Top Bottom