Is this even possible?

"IP Limiting" and MAC Address filtering won't do anything at all, totally useless security wise. With wireless, you have to remember it's a radio. Much like a radio station, everyone can see the stuff in the air and pick it up. Encryption just scrambles this stuff and it's unreadable (or very hard to read) without the matching encryption key.

Actually it is useful... Though yes the radio waves may be able to be picked up, a connection that is outside the limitations, will not connect... Though yes using a sniffer, and an antenna, a connection can be interrupted... With encryption, it makes it much harder to inject within that connection... Although wireless period is not that secure nor can it be secure... Though you can make it somewhat secure, using those options, can give one a sense of security with wireless, but then again with someone that close, it can seem useless cause of how easily exploitable it is... (That is why I use only wired connections... The only reason I have any support for wireless anywhere in my network, is so my grandparents can use their laptops on the internet... But I am also to far away from anyone to be able to do so... (those close enough don't know enough to do anything)).

Ya'll are officially over my head at this point lol. It's so awesome that you guys have taken the time to respond to my post. We've clamped down hard on our security but we are also taking extra precautions to keep ourselves as safe as possible (changing pw frequently, keeping certain info off our computers, etc). One weird thing that has occurred lately (last month actually) we got an email from Verizon "confirming" that we changed our email address...which we had not done during that month. We talked to a customer service rep at Verizon and they told us the exact date and time it was changed and what it was changed to. Thanks to a bit of investigating by looking at his "Linkedin" page, we were able to discern that the email address he changed it to was a mish-mash of words that were essentially his mom's name with initials, just a few variations thrown in. So now we have set up with all our online accounts that the PW's/email addresses are NOT to be changed online. What a douche this guy is.

With regard to a Master's degree in IT, all I know is that the one time we actually talked to the guy, he said he was about to graduate from University of Phoenix (we have a "campus" in town) with a Master's in IT. He said he worked for the Geek Squad for a period of time and now he works for an IT company that actually provides service for the hospital where the hubby works. LOL--small world. Luckily he doesn't have access to HIS personnel records or other sensitive info there, but OMG this guy is a mutha fuckin' stalker. I mean OMG--it's hard to imagine someone would do this in the first place, and secondly it's hard to fathom that he would even spend the energy on it. Good thing is, the hospital system is HUGE so it's not like hubby has to see the guy on the rare occasions he goes to that specific hospital (plus hubby works graveyard and douche bag works daytime).

We asked Verizon if they could tell us the IP address that the PW request had originated from, but they said no (not without a court order). From what I understand though, it's easy to alter your IP. I live in a reasonable sized town that is adjacent to a huge city, and I'm totally being cock blocked by the local police dept. They won't even take a report. I know this is totally gonna come off as paranoia, but since his dad really is the county sheriff, I wonder if that is a factor in why the local precinct won't take a written report.

In any case, the hubby and I have implemented your suggested security measures and despite the whole Verizon debacle, nothing has occurred. We assume that he had our Verizon info before we clamped down on the security measures that ya'll suggested. So unless something else occurs, I'm gonna assume (at least hope) that this issue is over. We even contacted all of our credit card companies, banks, etc (over the PHONE) ensuring that a very obscure security question be asked before anyone can inquire, change, etc anything to our accounts.

An extra thing we did (and ok, this might have been overkill) but we bought a nice security cam that overlooks our parking lot (our parking space and the only unobstructed view of our apartment window in our office). When or if anything amiss should occur, we'll review the footage and if he's out there in his car (and yeah, we have the plate #) we'll proceed from there.

I'm typically pretty laid back, but OMG I could actually see myself punching someone in the face over this (and trust me--that's saying A LOT) LOL.

I totally appreciate the feedback from you guys. Sucks that I can't catch him red-handed for what he's done thus far. Oh well, life ain't fair lol.

UPDATE:
Yeah, just went to the U of P website for our local "campus" and found out that they offer a BS and a MS in IT. No offense, but as a college graduate, I tend to look at places like this as degree mills. Students pay upward of 20k for a mostly online program. They'll give anyone a degree for that amount of money. I'm sure they have rigorous academic standards lol.

(ducking in case anyone here is going to U of P)...hehe. :eek:

Personally, I think the whole online degree bs, is well bs... If your going to go to school, go to a real one damn... I went to a community college, but still I went to college, and at 16 lol...

A few more things to suggest... Make sure you have the router firewall enabled, as well as a software firewall for you computer... Also good anti-virus, and anti-spyware... (my suggestions would be Avast, and Spyware Terminiator).

Your right the whole his father being a cop could have something to do with it... But if he does something serious enough, (which by the sounds of things probably will), then his father could end up going down just the same... I would say not to worry about him, karma will get him...

Also just to let you know, he sounds more like a script kiddy then anything...

If your ISP still has the records of the attempt he made with your Email address, you've got yourself a reasonably hefty piece of evidence.

Even if the IP is from a proxy, the time and length of connections can still help shorten the list of possible attackers.

Back
Top Bottom