external hard drive and wow help

wiggbuggie1

Beta member
ok I recently got world of warcraft and was excited to play on the weekend but it took so long to update then i learned i couldn't play because not enough room on my hdd :mad: so I got an external hard drive from amazon which I heard you can install games onto and my question is should I keep the external hard drive plugged in my computer all the time or should i take it out when I shut my comp off I'm wondering if any of the game files or anything will get messed up If I do that thanks

shouldnt matter if you keep it plugged up. its really nice because then you can take it with you wherever you goooo.

another good thing about external hard drives I just noticed is at times when my comp crashed and I have to reinstall windows well there goes my game as well but with this all the game files will be on it so i wont loose my progress:)

Just be aware that external hard drives do go bad also. Plus what kind of connection does it use to connect to the computer (USB 1.1, USB 2.0, FireWire, eSATA)? Also is it going through a hub or connecting directly to the computer? It will run slower if say you have a USB external HDD through a hub that if you have a directly connected eSATA drive. Just as a point of reference, the transfer speeds for different connections is:

USB 2.0: 60 MB/s
FW 400: 49.13 MB/s
FW 800: 98.25 MB/s
eSATA: 300 MB/s

Just something to think about. If you find that it runs too slowly, something you might want to look into is internal Solid State Disk. They are still somewhat pricey, but are very fast compared to standard HHD.

firewire 400mbps 400mbps
usb 480mbps
fire 800 800mbps
even thoe it das not look like it firewire is faster
ask any video geek

ps: some one needs a teabagging :D

Back
Top Bottom