Upgrade laptop to Vista Ultimate

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
My laptop is currently running Vista Home Premium SP1. I have a copy of Vista Ultimate but annoyingly it is the pre-sp1 CD. The CD that came with the laptop is locked to home premium so I can't use that to upgrade it. I know I could format but I'd rather not, any ideas on how to get Ultimate installed? Thanks

The CD that came with the laptop is locked to home premium so I can't use that to upgrade it.

What exactly do you mean? The CD that came with the laptop is the Vista Home (Premium?) CD, but you've also got the Vista Ultimate CD, correct?

I'm assuming that you're popping in the Vista Ultimate CD and it won't let you upgrade...what exactly happens that prevents you from upgrading?

The Home Premium CD is a Dell restore CD so doesn't work like other Vista CD's (installs the edition of vista depending on which code you type in), the Ultimate CD is not SP1, but the laptop is, so it won't let me upgrade as it is "an older version". I can format the laptop if need be, I just thought this approach may be easier.

K, I found some info for you.

There's a method called "Slipstreaming" where you can try to slip in SP1 files onto a DVD image of the installer (in your case, the Ultimate installer) and then burn this image onto a new setup dvd.

Here's the link: http://www.labnol.org/software/tuto...1-bootable-windows-vista-dvd-integrated/2750/

I've read that a clean install might be your best bet to assure a smooth install, but this is worth a shot.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom