Strange overheating issue

confuciousdragon

Solid State Member
I recently underwent an upgrade in my hardware. I went from a PNY geforce 8600 GT 512 MB to a EVGA Geforce 260 GTX 896 MB, as well as switching out my Athlon X2 6400+ for a Phenom X4 9850 Black edition. I installed these both at the same time. When I started up for the first time after, I noticed my CPU was reaching up to 66-67 degrees. When I tried to play WoW, I was able to run for about 3 or 4 mins before I hear my fans start to whir up and I lose video (though retain sound). I was using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64. I then thought that my heatsink was just shot, so I switched out for a liquid cooling system (Swiftech H20 220 Compact) Which took forever to set up, and when I finally did... ended up cooling worse than my fan (any insight on that would be great... no leaks, pump is working, I ran it for an hour) to the point where my CPU would hit upwards of 75 degrees while looking at the bios.

Frustrated, I have thrown my old CPU back in, my old fan back in, and am still having the same problems. Is it possible that the graphics card is overheating my CPU somehow?

System Specs
Asus M3A78-EM mobo
Seagate 1TB HDD
Corsair DDR2 Memory 4gb
Corsair 650W PSU
EVGA Nvidia Geforce 260 GTX 896 MB
Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition

This is a self-built Comp.

Sounds like bad contact between the base of the loop and CPU. Make sure you didn't apply too much or too little thermal paste. All you need is a small drop in the center. Also, make sure the block is mounted correctly too. You could also give the waterblock a little jiggle while the pump is running, making sure no air bubbles are stuck in it.

redid the thermal paste, took off the side panel, and cooled the room a bit. It works now... but... it's still hotter than it used to be by a good 15+ degrees. Any further insight?

Back
Top Bottom