Better Upgrade Choice?

Yeah, the GTX 285 is very overkill for your resolustion. Is there any reason why you want to go with ATI over Nvidia? But in any case, this 4830 is roughly equal in power to the 9800/ 8800 line of Nvidia cards. Even though I prefer Nvidia personally, for $75 after MIR, this card cannot beat. And yeah, it's crossfire enabled so it'll work for crossfire on your motherboard later.
Although I do agree with Rohan you should get a 4870 if you can. One single powerful card is going to be better than two less powerful cards.

I would recommend going with an ATI HD 4870 1GB or 512mb GPU. I've done a lot of research and the 4870 can hang in there with the best of nvidia. Plus the ram is gDDR5 which really doesn't mean too much at the resolution you'll be playing at (same as mine actually) but if you were to ever get a higher resolution monitor, you'd definitely appreciate having that faster ram and a larger quanitity (1GB).

Also, I don't have a problem with a core 216 GTX 260 if you would want to go that route. Personally I don't know too much about the 285 so i'm keeping my mouth shut about it. I'll be looking in to those new AMD Phenoms... Does anyone think the prices on them will drop in the next week or so? Don't know if it'd be worth it to pay about 40-50$ more for .2 GHz over the 940.

He would want to go ATI since his board is Crossfire compatible. A single 4870 would be a great card for gaming. Stick with the 1GB just in case you upgrade down the road. Plus, another 1GB would be sweet in Crossfire.

What power supply do you have?

I'm running a 600w power supply right now, but I'm going to upgrade it because I really don't trust it (my old one fried so I just picked up a generic one at J&R) so if you guys can recommend a power supply that can also handle the crossfire setup I would greatly appreciate it.

Well im pretty sure a 600W PSU will work. If you eventually plan on going dual 4870s, then i might be leaning towards a 650 or a 700 but I think a 600 would even work.

Back
Top Bottom