Car Thread!

I never really liked LS swaps into RX-7's. One of the reasons I like them is for their rotary engines, you don't see them in other cars.

Torque.

The 13B has hardly any torque at all unless you rev the shit out of it. I love the 13B-REW myself as well, but a clean and well done LS swap is something to be admired.

Alright, so the guy with the S4 I liked decided he wants $15k for it. That's just ridiculous. There's another one posted online for $12.5k (so I could probably get it for $11k) but the only thing is it's tiptronic instead of the 6 speed. Think it's worth it to wait for a better deal on a 6 speed?

Aren't those like 80 watt bulbs? I'd be afraid of melting parts in my headlights lol.

You may have a E36, but it's still an automatic :p
My friend has an E36 (318i....P.O.S.), he's wants euro HID's (angel eyes) but I told him he needs to fix the massive dent in his trunk first (the left half of the lid is crumbled and rusting out a bit). For some reason, his car gets very poor gas mileage which is surprising for such a small engine. It drives like a boat, and when you take your foot off the accelerator, the car instantly starts to rapidly decelerate (if you started coasting at about 30mph, it would stop in like 150 feet) so you have to constantly be on the gas (even going down hill). And now every time he sees a BMW, he goes "YE-HE-HE-YAH [insert model number here]...That thing is SIIIIIICK." and when he see's a M series he's like "DAAAAAYYYYUUUUMMMM M[number]. I wish I could get me one-a those babies." Lol, he get's made fun of quite a bit for the dumb things he says, but he's a BMW fanatic now that he has one of his own. I can't really blame him though, I'm sure that if I get a VW I'd point out every cool VW that I saw (maybe not in that manner).

So it doesn't roll very well? That could be messed up brakes or wheel bearings.

Alright, so the guy with the S4 I liked decided he wants $15k for it. That's just ridiculous. There's another one posted online for $12.5k (so I could probably get it for $11k) but the only thing is it's tiptronic instead of the 6 speed. Think it's worth it to wait for a better deal on a 6 speed?

I'd probably go for a 6 speed. Audi's tiptronic automatic transmission is HORRIBLE. Most tip/steptronic gearboxes aren't that bad and they can shift quite well, but for some reason the VW gearboxes Audi uses are beyond useless. It has the be the slowest tiptronic I've ever used. It's good for crusing though.

My friend has an E36 (318i....P.O.S.), he's wants euro HID's (angel eyes) but I told him he needs to fix the massive dent in his trunk first (the left half of the lid is crumbled and rusting out a bit). For some reason, his car gets very poor gas mileage which is surprising for such a small engine. It drives like a boat, and when you take your foot off the accelerator, the car instantly starts to rapidly decelerate (if you started coasting at about 30mph, it would stop in like 150 feet) so you have to constantly be on the gas (even going down hill). And now every time he sees a BMW, he goes "YE-HE-HE-YAH [insert model number here]...That thing is SIIIIIICK." and when he see's a M series he's like "DAAAAAYYYYUUUUMMMM M[number]. I wish I could get me one-a those babies." Lol, he get's made fun of quite a bit for the dumb things he says, but he's a BMW fanatic now that he has one of his own. I can't really blame him though, I'm sure that if I get a VW I'd point out every cool VW that I saw (maybe not in that manner).

Yeah, a 1.8-litre inline four isn't that great when the car itself weighs a little less than 2900lbs. My 325i weighs about 3050lbs stock, which isn't too bad but at least I have the torque to deal with it. When he gets Euro HID projectors tell him to get the proper ones that look exactly like the stock US headlights except with a glass cover instead of plastic. Please for all that is sacred and holy, prevent him from buying those one-piece angel eye HID projector headlights that combine the headlight with the corner lights. The global BMW community as well as I frown heavily upon such trash.

As for angel eyes, I'm still partial about having them on any BMW prior to the E46. They're not bad on E36's, but you need the substance first. Just putting angel eyes on a stock E36 with a rusting trunk lid and no other exterior mods is just...not right.

So it doesn't roll very well? That could be messed up brakes or wheel bearings.

Yeah, it could be.

I'm heading out to get the 5.0L and AOD tranny tomorrow. $25. Can't pass it up... It's out of an '89 Mercury Grand Marquis. Not a whole lot of power, 150hp and 250 ft/lbs I think. But with headers, decent intake, and maybe different heads, I should be able to break 200hp. I will do more to it over time too maybe. Might get a shift kit for the AOD too, they arent too expensive... I don't know the condition of the AOD, but I'm guessing it's not too bad, they are decent trannys, and are extremely common, in every V8 car from 85 on or so...

Back
Top Bottom