Just built my first PC and no image comes up on monitor.

Of course! Quad Cores can heat up very quickly. Furthermore, make sure that the thermal compound is spread nice and thin to ensure the best thermal transfer to the heat sink.

ALSO....

As far as it being a heatsink problem... I am about 96% sure the heatsing and fan are mounted properly. Woudl heat be the issue if I am turning on the PC, about 30 seconds in it shuts down, and then I power it right back on and I have another 30 seconds before it shuts off? If it were heat woudl it not stay on for a shorter timer period on the next boot?

Heat is a pretty typical cause for the shutting down, though sometimes it causes BSOD. I can't think of any other reason in my experiences for it doing this.

The heat up and cool down times are both very quick; it can heat up very fast (especially the 65nm quad series) and dissapate its own heat fast, too. What thermal compound are you using? and is the Core stock clocked?

Beeps no.. there is actually no speaker on the board. I sent the last speaker in with thr RMA on the original board and the new board did not come with a speaker. Yippee. Also I am using the thermal compound that came on the processor.

a note about the thremal compund: When I originally received the processor/fan the chip already had compund on it so I used that. When I sent in the RMA I removed the chips and fan. The chip and the fan both still have the saem coumpound on them. I did not think this would be an issue.

Next question... Where do they sell good compund? I have Radio Shack and Best Buy near me. I know Radio shack has thermal compound but is it any good? Any suggestions and could the compund be the problem?

Is there a speaker mounted in the case?

I'm still using and old tube of Radio Shack thermal compound. The stuff works just fine. It helps keep my overclocked Phenom II X3 720 nice and cool.

I'm sure you could find at the least some Arctic Silver stuff at either one of those stores.

Hey everyeone,

I just built my first PC (with the help of a few friends that have all built PC's before) and when I fire it up, all of the lights come on, the fans spin, but there is no image on the monitor (we have tried 3 known good monitors). Here are the specs: Intel Core 2 Quad, ASUS P5Q Pro MOtherboard, e-GeForce 8600 GTS graphics card, Seagate 500GB HD, 550 W power supply (came with the case), Samsung 22x DVD Burner, ATX case (pretty standard). All connections have been triple checked and are correct.

I can get to BIOS but after about 30 seconds the PC powers off. I am going to check the heatsink again as it was a hassle getting it on, hopefully this is the issue. Would the chip heat up that fast?

DDR2 800 RAM and the exact RAM brand and model number is printed in the MOBO guide as Qualified for my board. The RAM is seated properly in the proper slots.

Chip: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

That sounds like a PSU problem not overheating.. how many amps are on your 12v rails?

I am not sure on the amps on the 12v rail. I am at work and will be bringing the PC up in a little while and I will check on the PSU itself. My plans thus far are to try new thermal compund and if that doesn't do it to buy a new PSU.

Good call, Prodigy. He's probably right. Make sure there is enough wattage and enough amperage on the 12+. should be around at least 30A to run your system; possibly more.

Back
Top Bottom