Cryptography

vampist

Fully Optimized
I was thinking about this when I was bored at college with nothing to do..
Here is a link talking about the common ophcrack and rainbow tables.
Link

I was reading some of the comments and I thought of a way for salts and stuff.. look..

/**
Everything with a $ in front is a variable. Meaning $F could equal "one" or "ball".
The md5 function is used here. md5 is a hash algorithm it will give you the hash of what ever is in the ( ).
The Variable SALT is equal to a really long random bunch of numbers, letters, and symbols. It helps stop the hacker from using Rainbow tables or a "brute force" type of action of reversing the hash.
Where it says While ( ) that is a LOOP action. Meaning When (code) there is true { code here } will continue to execute over and over again. Now you will see the variable i is at the bottom of the while with ++ after this means to add 1 to the current number equalling i. e.g. $i + 1 = 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 etc.
In php which that is what the code is, the symbol "." or period means AND So $username . $password would be jesse1234 if the username was jesse and password 1234.
**/

$Hash-01 = md5 ( $username . $SALT . $entered_password );
$Hash-02 = md5 ( $Hash-01 . $SALT2 );
$Hash-03 = md5 ( $Hash-02 );
$Hash = $Hash -03;

OR

Not sure how ophcrack runs exactly. (I know the basic)

But what if you did something like this?

$Hash = md5 ( $SALT . $entered_password )
While ( $i <= "10" ) {
$Hash = md5 ( $Hash );
$i++
}
Thus leaving it encrypted 10 times over from the original hash..
Lol.. Got into code mode and almost wrote // before thus..

Just thinking of this thought I would through the idea out see what you guys had to say.

why only 10 iterations? Why not 100? or 1000? Probably any higher will start getting really cost inefficient if 1000 isn't already.

Oh also, your code won't work the way you want it to. I just saw that the same line md5($Hash) is just going to be stored in $F over and over. It's not actually running the function each time and storing the results to be run in the next iteration.

hold on let me figure this out...

maybe like this?
Code:
$Hash = md5 ( $SALT . $entered_password )
While ( $i <= "10" ) {
$Hash = md5 ( $Hash );
$i++
}

Forgive me, i don't know the language you're coding this in. I'm assuming you can do this in PHP.

I think I see what you were trying to do. You thought that $Hash is storing the function md5($SALT . $entered_password) but it is only storing the results returned by that function.

Ah I see the correction yes this is what I meant. I wrote it quickly...

So what do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom