What kind of router should I get

Sure, on an embedded device or somthing. But ColdwaterCS seemed to be suggesting that he used an old computer... which makes me think of a PIII or somthing. If your buying a pre-built smoothwall router, in the form of an embedded device then that's fine.

Most consumers want somthing that "Just Works".

noise, heat, anything that wont mess up the main computer when people are on and will be good long range and speed is what I need.

Also needs to be able to get good connection to my ps3 and such. also when the router will be moved upstairs as I said 8-12 feet through the ceiling or 40-50 feet wrapped around, I need something the connection will stay strong as well. thanks

Seems like an awful lot of work to convert an old computer or spending money on an embedded hardware Smoothwall Router when it appears the OP wants a wireless router with decent short & long range. Not sure how effective an old computer is at being a wireless router/access point. To each his own though.

we have an older XP around 8 years old.

But within the next year we plan to get a newer one. and we also plan to get Verizon Fios once it comes in our area.

I was meaning converting an old computer into a wireless router (if I understood Coldwater CS's suggestion correctly), which is kind of a waste of time if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom