Txt your vehicle if its been stolen...

LukaszR1

Fully Optimized
I thought this was actually pretty cool. You'd text or email your car if its been stolen which would trigger a mechnism to shut down the vehicle...and it responds with the co-ordinates so that police/owner can find it.

Heres the story:

Three engineering students at the University of Saskatchewan have made recovering a stolen vehicle as easy as sending a text message.

By elegantly merging the disciplines of electrical and computer engineering, Shea Pederson, Jon Ness and Michael Siourounis have developed a prototype for theft-recovery technology by installing a cell modem into a car.

Using technology already existing in most modern vehicles--an automatic sensor that shuts down a car when the engine is overheating -- the device will both turn off a stolen vehicle and alert the owner to its whereabouts.

fullstory here http://autos.canada.com/news/story.html?id=1502550

ah i bet you they will make you pay an insane amount for that service, i mean just look at onstars prices

i thought it was like $1200 a year for a Suburban... but anyway:

"The Truth About Cars" wrote that "OnStar's computer knows where you were, when you were there, and how fast you went. It knows if and when you applied the brakes, if and when the air bags deployed, and what speed you were going at the time. It knows if and when your car was serviced. OnStar operators can determine if you have a passenger in the front seat (airbag detection). ... under certain conditions, OnStar can switch on your GM car's microphone remotely and record any and all sounds within the vehicle (i.e. conversations)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnStar

i would pay $20 a month for that? ^^^

I guess the onstar thing would be good if you obeyed the law and somehow got into an accident and want to proof for the lawyer or insurance.

OnStar get's you help as soon as you get into an accident Teny. They are notified by sensors in the car and contact you in an emergency. They can then get the ball rolling by contacting the local authorities or emergency services.

Back
Top Bottom