I Need Help With My Computer :s

Can't find any spec about the motherboard used in this PC but it is a very very safe bet that it will have the port to run an 880GT in (port is called PCI-E). I have seen Crysis ran on an 8800GT before but i'd say if you can afford it jump up to the 9 series and get a 9800gt or 9800gtx or the 9800gtx which i think has been rebranded as a GTX250. Depending on which of the specs you've listed is correct for the system you might look at upgrading the CPU as well, the Q6600 or the E7400 are normally very highly recommended. Let me know if you've got a set budget for these upgrades and what your monitors native resolution is.

PS Welcome to CF
AFAIK, The 250 = rebranded 9800GT = rebranded 8800GT.

I know that's how it was to begin with - it might have changed now though.

Mudgee, Welcome to the Computer Forums! :)

Please do tell your computer's model number. This will help us determine what your motherboard is capable of. As mentioned, your computer may not be able to handle fast enough ram or may not even have PCI-E 2.0 specification as the 8800GT you looked at has. Though it is reverse-compatitble with PCI-E 1.1.

Grantofhell :d

Mudgee, Welcome to the Computer Forums! :)

Please do tell your computer's model number. This will help us determine what your motherboard is capable of. As mentioned, your computer may not be able to handle fast enough ram or may not even have PCI-E 2.0 specification as the 8800GT you looked at has. Though it is reverse-compatitble with PCI-E 1.1.

Grantofhell :d

667mhz RAM is plenty fast enough in most cases when it comes to Intel processors and is the least of his worries with this system, AMD based systems are where RAM speed really matters...

this model does have a PCI-E slot so the video card wouldn't be a problem, the 800mhz FSB is definitely the most limiting factor, that means the cpu is pretty much stuck at around 2ghz, which is a shame, if it had a better motherboard that cpu could OC to at least 3.0ghz from what I've heard...

the best course of action would be to get a decent microATX motherboard, a decent psu and a HD4830, of course this will cost about $200, but that's to be expected, you can't just wave a magic wand and turn a budget desktop into a gaming desktop for free...

everyone,,

i found a monitor and booted up the computer. then i got everything working, and download cpu-z to find the specs.

not gonna lie, the file is pretty long, im not going to post it all because they won't let me, its too long.

so i've uploaded it...HERE:

http://uploading.com/files/8LFOFLCE/cpuz.txt.html

ps, sorry about the time you have to wait to download it :)

Ok, Based on the information read in here - You're going to need all new parts if you plan on running that 8800GTS. First off, you have an AGP slot, so it says. as well as only having a Celeron 420 @ 1.6. Your ram is PC-5300 Single channel DDR2 and the frequency is 333mhz; and there is only 1Gb of it. If you plan on sticking with the same hardware you're going to have to buy an AGP 8x video card. I don't know what your budget is, but this is a pretty nice card for an AGP. It's cheaper than replacing a whole system but it isn't very powerful.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3092427&CatId=2234

BFG 7300GT 512Mb of DDR2. I won't guarantee it will even play Crysis, but it might.

Ok, Based on the information read in here - You're going to need all new parts if you plan on running that 8800GTS. First off, you have an AGP slot, so it says. as well as only having a Celeron 420 @ 1.6. Your ram is PC-5300 Single channel DDR2 and the frequency is 333mhz; and there is only 1Gb of it. If you plan on sticking with the same hardware you're going to have to buy an AGP 8x video card. I don't know what your budget is, but this is a pretty nice card for an AGP. It's cheaper than replacing a whole system but it isn't very powerful.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3092427&CatId=2234

BFG 7300GT 512Mb of DDR2. I won't guarantee it will even play Crysis, but it might.

the best AGP card that is available is the HD3850, it will blow the 7300GT out of the water, it is more expensive than it's PCI-E counterpart, but that's to be expected because AGP is pretty close to dead, also, I checked the specs of your model number on the Acer site and they were different from what you uploaded from cpu-z, are you still referring to the Acer Aspire m1610...? the Acer site has it listed as having a PCI-E slot, not AGP...

Acer Aspire m1610

weird...

You definately have an AGP slot and not PCI-E ...really does lower your options dramatically. Personally i wouldn't spend money on an AGP card.

oh well, looks like i'll have to save up for a whole new system. i wasnt going to settle for anything less than awesome, i was just hoping that i could upgrade it to make it like that.

seeing as that's out of the question, can you guys recommend a cheap(ish) gaming tower that can do the things i need to do?

i am up for upgrading anything as well, whatever's cheapest/works the best.

thanks sooooo much guys, you've all helped me out a lot.

Back
Top Bottom