How do I re-install the operating system?

swamp_rattler

Baseband Member
How how how? I have my operating system re-install cd. I had two choices, one was Upgrade (recommended) but I chose the other one. The other one sounded as though it was ridding of all previous files and starting anew. Well, that one didn't work. Screen went blank for hours when it said it might go blank for just a few minutes.

I logged back on and tried again. This time I chose the other option (Upgrade) but it said setup couldn't continue because of an incomplete operating system was installed.

Is my laptop now just an expensive paperweight?

what kind of laptop do you have? Was the re-install disc included with the laptop or was it one that comes included in the OS and you need to burn it to create it?

Restart the computer and boot from the CD. Delete the current partition(s) you have and create a new one. Then just install the OS on that partition.

It's a Dell Inspiron 9300 and the cd was included when I bought the laptop.

Dang, it's times like this I wish I was smarter. Boot from the CD? Partitions? How do I do all this?

Here's what I've been doing. I start the computer and run in Safe Mode. I go to My Computer and press the D:drive (the OS cd). I try to install (I type in my product key, etc) and it gives me "Setup will take approx. 51 minutes". Then the computer restarts itself (after about one minute...not 51) and boots as if it were never reinstalling the OS. So yeah, re-installation thus far has failed.

You want to boot from the CD. Restart your computer and wait for the computer to say, "Press and key to boot from the CD." Press a button and just follow the on screen directions. You can't install while you're in the OS.

From memory, but Dell in the past doesn't have their CD/DVD drives to be 1st on boot. Hit F12 I believe it is and choose boot from CD. Then follow above instructions.

Back
Top Bottom