Creating a partition for Eeebuntu

GhostGT

Daemon Poster
On my last Eee PC (1000 HE), I installed Eeebuntu by formatting and (not 100% sure, but) partitioning a part of the "D" Drive. The netbook has two drives, C and D, "D" being the backup drive that allows for a restore.

This ended up being a problem last time as I couldn't restore the netbook through it's own settings. I want to install Eeebuntu on this new 1000HE again, but I don't really know how I should go about doing it. During the install (which I use a USB hard drive for to boot into), it gives me a variety of options regarding which drive to choose and how to format it, etc, but I honestly don't know anything it says!

Any ideas on what I can do? Is there a way that I can partition part of my C: drive for this use? Any suggestions on the installation?

Much appreciated as always,

Chris

Hi,

Let me see if I understand this correctly. You have an eeePC. You want to put ubuntu no it, but you screwed up at least twice now, and installed it on the recovery partition. So now you aren't able to do a recovery.

You mention a USB hdd, is that a thumb drive? You also mention the C: partition, and you say that you don't have any clue what you are doing which is fine. I like working with total noobs.

Come back and answer those things for me and then later tonight when I get back from work. I should be able to write up something for you. In the mean time I would start reading this. It is something I wrote a while back.

Cheers!

Alright so you want JUST ubuntu? or do you have windows and you want to dual install ubuntu?
Link1
Link2

Those might help you get going.
But I would partition your hard drive in windows right off the bat. That might make it easier.

Your in luck though.. This usually doesn't happen but Ubuntu recognizes everything Right away. So you don't have to search around for your drivers.

I am currently typing this on MY 1000 HE with dual booting Xp and Ubuntu.(8.10)

Edit:

I used this for partitions link

Should have been a little clearer in my original post. Bear with me please, as i'm typing this off my phone.

I had a 1000HE that would dual boot XP and Eeebuntu. I did this by partitioning and installing Eeebuntu on the D: drive, which essentially erased the restore capabilities of the laptop.

This laptop had to go back to Amazon due to my keyboard keys popping off a week after I got the darn thing.

So I got the replacement 1000HE, which DOESN'T have anything other than the factory install of XP on it. I'm trying to figure out how I can install Eeebuntu on the laptop without having to erase the D: drive and restore information stored on it.

I imagine that I could essentially partition part of my C: drive and install Eeebuntu on it from there, but I didn't know what exactly I was doing DURING the install on a particular page that included installation/partition/format selections. I might be able to run through the install later today and post up a screen shot of what I'm talking about.

Everything else is fine. When I said "I don't know anything it says," I was literally referring to that installation page of Eeebuntu. Otherwise, I'm no noob at computers. Heheh, cheers. ;)

I will definitely read the documents you guys posted once I'm home.

Hi,

I will give you some help in the am, it is late here and I need to go to bed soon. I have a long day tomarrow. I will find you some stuff with screenshots and help you out from there.

Cheers!

Hi,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I found a good walkthrough with pictures that I think should help you. Graphical Install, look closely at the step 8. It should help you with the problems you have been having.

Cheers!

Hey wmorri,

Thank you for that info. As soon as I get my laptop out of my car, I'll run through the installation and let you know how it goes.

Just to throw in some random tidbits of info, it looks like that website had a single drive to select from, while I have TWO drives (one of which needs to be partitioned somehow).

That's where my problem is. I don't know how/which drive to correctly partition, although I'm sure I should just grab a part of the C drive for this. Once I start up the install process I'll post up some screenshots for you...that'd make things a little easier.

Cheers,

Chris

Ok, you actually only have 1 drive, but you do have two partitions. You will see them as hda, hdb or sda, sdb. You will want to choose the first one with more space on it. You should be able to figure that one out.

I think that should answer your question. So hopefully you pop back here first then go to partitioning.

Cheers!

Ok, you actually only have 1 drive, but you do have two partitions. You will see them as hda, hdb or sda, sdb. You will want to choose the first one with more space on it. You should be able to figure that one out.

I think that should answer your question. So hopefully you pop back here first then go to partitioning.

Cheers!

Hey,

Right, totally understand. I should have thrown in the word "virtual" when talking about the drives... Its one physical hard drive with two partitions.

I'll keep you posted.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom