OverClocking RAM

noobbuilder2000

In Runtime
Hi i bought 8 GB of ram each are 2 GB DDR2 iam guessing 800, because it said on new egg that it was 1066 but its not. heres the ram sticks i bought.

I just need help making it 1066. I know you go to bios but i just wana double check to make sure i dont screw anything up.

Heres the rams sticks i bought.
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

My mother board
ASUS M4N72-E AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

This is the first pc iam building

I have
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

CASE
APEVIA X-JUPITER-JR G-Type X-JPJGT-BK Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

How do you know it's not 1066 RAM? Lets assume it is and your system is downclocking your RAM. (Which it will with a clock of 200Mhz and everything else in the BIOS standard)

With a clock of 200Mhz X 15(multiplyer) you get a CPU speed of 3000Mhz.

The RAM divider could be set to 1:1 - DRAM 800Mhz - which will give you a RAM speed of 200 X 4 = 800Mhz.

You could ram up the clock speed to 266.5Mhz keeping the RAM divider at 1:1 -DRAM 800Mhz - to get 1066Mhz RAM but if you keep the CPU multiplyer at X15 then the CPU ,will try to, run at 3997.5Mhz! You will also need to look at the HT divider and reduce this to ensure you don't over do it.

Or you can adjust the RAM divider - DRAM 1067Mhz - to get the RAM to run at 1066Mhz with a 200Mhz clock.

It's all in the BIOS.

You keeping up?

I already see the problem. The motherboard specifications say that it will only support 1066 RAM if you're running 1 stick per channel. Since you have all slots filled, that means you're using 4 sticks for a total of 2 per channel. Therefore, the motherboard will not support 1066. You can try your hand at changing some settings on your motherboard to get some extra speed. That's going to involve messing with the HT Link of the CPU, and then you'll have to OC that to not lose any speed. Not to mention the tweaks here and there on the RAM. Your motherboard might not even get an stable OC very far. If you have never OCed, as I assume by the question, I'd say don't mess with it unless you're ready to OC your entire system. Differences for 1066 to 800 are barely noticeable for everyday use.

I already see the problem. The motherboard specifications say that it will only support 1066 RAM if you're running 1 stick per channel. Since you have all slots filled, that means you're using 4 sticks for a total of 2 per channel. Therefore, the motherboard will not support 1066. You can try your hand at changing some settings on your motherboard to get some extra speed. That's going to involve messing with the HT Link of the CPU, and then you'll have to OC that to not lose any speed. Not to mention the tweaks here and there on the RAM. Your motherboard might not even get an stable OC very far. If you have never OCed, as I assume by the question, I'd say don't mess with it unless you're ready to OC your entire system. Differences for 1066 to 800 are barely noticeable for everyday use.

Well spotted. It mentions this at the bottom of page 1-11 in the manual.

:p

When i was getting a mobo at the time it was between that asus nforce or the asus 790gx. i ended up getting the M4A78-E instead because everyone was repping the SB750 raid performance and the ACC overclocking. But now i keep dreaming that the nforce wouldve been better and now i have a 9600gt wishing i could go sli but no.... i hate you noobbuilder xD

Lol well see, if you go to the link for the ram sticks it said 1066 but its not, the lied. And i didn't notice that until i got it you see. i had that motherboard too but i returned it becasue when i put my cpu in it, it didnt work and they told me i had to get an older cpu, then flash it and i said screw so i returned it and got the one i have now. about a 70$ difference but i think it was worth it. Right now iam waiting for my vista cd the 64 bit because i just new that 32 cant go over 3.5 ram or something like that. I need to stop being a noob and become a pro hopefully one day lol.

the only way it will go to 1066 is if you take 2 sticks out, but im sure if you wait awhile asus will give out an update for your board to support 1066 across both channels as they did with my board

Lol well see, if you go to the link for the ram sticks it said 1066 but its not, the lied.
They didn't lie about the speed of the memory. The Kingston HyperX you purchased is DDR2 1066. It's the motherboard that is clocking the memory at 800Mhz. You need to manually set the correct timings in the BIOS as everybody have said.

OK then my bad lol, thanks for the help guys i love u all <3
I should get my cds and stuff by tomorrow ill tell u guys if it works out :)

Back
Top Bottom