4GB of RAM, but Windows says 3GB

Well I'm running 32bit XP and I'm getting screwed out of 512MB somewhere...someone said something about page files, should I disable those or reduce those? The 512MB I'm not getting is being used (I would think) for something...is that something worth keeping or should I get rid of it and get 3.5GB of ram available to the system?

in windows xp having more than 1.5gb of ram does nothing. Seriously i went from 2GB to 4GB ram in xp like a year back and i was all into it, ran benchmarks, recorded difference in gaming and encoding fps. the only thing that was different was my encoding and it only went up 4fps.

On the other hand windows vista x64 has a much better coding method and address the memory alot better and people see huge increases in ram performance (2Gb to 4GB)..

in windows xp having more than 1.5gb of ram does nothing. Seriously i went from 1GB to 4GB ram in xp like a year back and i was all into it, ran benchmarks, recorded difference in gaming and encoding fps. the only thing that was different was my encoding and it only went up 4fps.

On the other hand windows vista x64 has a much better coding method and address the memory alot better and people see huge increases in ram performance (2Gb to 4GB)..

Can anyone confirm this?

Could I upgrade to XP x64 without having to format and start from scratch?

Can anyone confirm this?

Could I upgrade to XP x64 without having to format and start from scratch?

no, when you install a new OS you don't have to reformat your drive, but you still have to install the OS, I don't think there is an upgrade available from a 32 bit OS to a 64bit OS, but I could be wrong...

Back
Top Bottom