server build

iffy

In Runtime
Ok I hope I'm in the right forum. I want to build a server system can you guys advise on components? The system will be for a small office and I would like to have a nice fast and reliable P.C. Also what O.S. should I use with the system? Server 2003? We don't need access controll etc, it just has to control printing and some other important flight packages.

Well, for a file server, I'd use a fast computer and a Linux server OS. If you have to run executable files, then you'll have to use a Windows OS. 2003 should be sufficient, but 2008 is always good.

Well, for a file server, I'd use a fast computer and a Linux server OS.
. I don't know about a fast computer. If you have a computer that have a P4 or better then you should be good. As for Linux, if this is for your business, I would say go with whatever OS group that you know best. If you don't have time to learn linux then go with windows. It all depends on how fast you need the server deployed.

Can you be more specific on the flight packages. I am not following you.

Cheers!

How many users will there be - you can use windows xp as a print server but I think you can only have a maximum of 10 users sharing the printer at a time.

If you have less than 10 users a normal PC with at least a Pentium 4 and 2GB ram should be sufficient.

Can you be more specific about the flight packages so I can advise on suitable server and OS for them?

If you live on the Gold Coast my company can assist you with the purchase and setup of a server for your needs at a very low cost. You can contact me at my website.

Cheers
Mark
www.mhare.com.au

Ok, let me be more specific:

Since you're not running a Domain Controller, you don't need Active Directory
Seems to me you don't need hosted DHCP or DNS

Unless your flight package is a program (*.exe) then you really have no need to shell out the $$$ for Win Server 2003. I would go with Ubuntu, since it's fairly simple to operate, and there are many knowledge bases out there for any problem you may encounter.

Hi guys, the flight package is Galileo, sabre, money exchange program and print server. Amaximum of 4 users at any one time. I prefer to go with windows as I'm efficient at using it. I really need a relible system, and also a backup strategy should the server go down.

Back
Top Bottom