A Whole New Level of Ignorance

alvino

Golden Master
On Tuesday, State Rep. Betty Brown (R) caused a firestorm during House testimony on voter identification legislation when she said that Asian-Americans should change their names because they're too hard to pronounce

“Rather than everyone here having to learn Chinese — I understand it's a rather difficult language — do you think that it would behoove you and your citizens to adopt a name that we could deal with more readily here?” Brown said.

Brown later told [Organization of Chinese Americans representative Ramey] Ko: “Can't you see that this is something that would make it a lot easier for you and the people who are poll workers if you could adopt a name just for identification purposes that's easier for Americans to deal with?”

Yesterday, Brown continued to resist calls to apologize. Her spokesman said that Democrats “want this to just be about race.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/04/09/brown-asian-names/

This her?

Betty-Brown-for-web.jpg

Yeah, they also have a thumbnail picture of her in the article that I linked.

Lots of Americans have French names that are never pronounced correctly, nobody really give a shit.

I dont think my name (Teny) is actually chinese, and some people have a hard time pronouncing it, mostly teachers. So far, the types of teachers that have a low chance of pronouncing my name wrong are the college teachers.

This brings up an interesting topic I believe.. I mean of course this is ridiculous and she should be shot for being a ignorant airhead. But what about (in new york anyway) The state law demanding we learn and pass a foreign language class in high school. Why do we have to learn anything else? Yes I understand that some jobs do require another language... Isn't that where college comes in hand?

But for this lady to come out and say that people need to change their names because this bish can't pronounce them?

Three letters..

L-O-L

Back
Top Bottom