Suggestions for fan cooling a Q6600?

The "True" doesn't even rank in the top 5 on FrostyTech:

Frostytech's Top 5 Heatsinks Charts
Brah, they have the Ultra 120 ahead of the Extreme. They're the only site that has posted these kind of results.

If every other review site showed an Nvidia XXX beating an ATi XXX and another site comes out with a review showing the ATi winning, nobody would take any notice.

Also, my opinion comes having owned an OCZ(Xig.) and a TRUE.
Lapping a cpu IHS and/or a heatsink base isn't a "chore" to a true overclocker, it is a labour of love
Yes.
Aren't most heatsinks designed to work best with the fans that they come with?
Not at all. Most companies just bundle a POS 1200RPM fan so that people won't complain it's "too loud". Noctua bundle a decent fan, but nothing high RPM.
It is true that variables are eliminated, but it seems that everyone I've heard from that has both heatsinks, the TRUE performs better than the S1283. It may be only a "few degrees", but that's a pretty significant difference to me. The only Xigmatek heatsink that was really spot-on with the TRUE is their new Thor's Hammer, which is a pretty wicked-looking cooler.
And it's a few degrees with both HSFs at stock. Everyone knows it's a crime not to lap a TRUE, whereas the Xig. will gain little.

Also, I'm sorry but I have to do this:

AR: Oh wait, no stats?
Rohan: Intel Q6600 3.0Ghz
---------
Cabbs: Xeon E3110@4005Mhz
ATF: E8600@ 4.0GHz
Worshipme: Intel Xeon E3110 Q746A @ 4.1GHz

Can I say, owned?

^^^ This is a joke, don't take it seriously. I just noticed and couldn't resist :D

I too went a little overboard I think, but aren't debates what forums are all about? :)

---------

Can I say, owned?

Aw haha, that's a low blow, dude. How about I push my chip to 3.6 with my cooler and then we will see what's up. I'm not saying it's a bad cooler. I would love to get one. I think for the price, the Xigmatek is the clear choice. If someone is overclocking their chip on air cooling to the point where it's a couple of degrees away from frying, something is wrong with them. Not everyone is experienced enough, or know how to lap a heatsink. Hell, I don't know myself. Plus, your CPU has a total draw of 65 watts and is a 45nm chip. Where mine draws 95 and is a 65nm chip. Dual cores are just meant to run cooler. I want to see you guys try to overclock a quad which isn't the i7.

@OP, I have my Q6600 sitting on 3.2GHz under a Zalman 9700, the Zalman is not as efficient as the TRUE, I get lower temps with the TRUE but the Zalman provides enough cooling to run the Q6600 at that overclock, you'll have to weigh up your budget v level of cooling required to come to a conclusion that best suits you, probably all of the coolers mentioned are suitable for what you wish to do but as you can see, some are "debatably" better than others.

Sort of Off Topic

---------

My 4.0GHz is only because it is my 24/7 summer clock, with air temperatures exceeding 35°C and peaking at 40°C higher voltages are near impossible with any air cooler and the aircon is too expensive to run 24/7 so the overclock stays lowered.

With air temperatures dropping somewhat now I'll start ramping up a little to try to get the elusive 4.5GHz stable. (See Link)
NOTE: The overclocks in the linked post and pics below were achieved using a lapped TRUE without the washer mod

LINK

Current temperatures are much more conducive :D

IDLE (The 35°C is my faulty sensor, it won't read below 35°)

lowertemps1.jpg
lowertemps2.jpg

LOAD

lowertemps3.jpg
lowertemps4.jpg

---------

Can I say, owned?
Nope. . .

AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE @ 3.4Ghz (default 2.8GHz), with nothing more than a multiplier increase.

Mid to low 40°s under load with a "lowly" AC Freezer 64 Pro.

Back
Top Bottom