Suggestions for fan cooling a Q6600?

1. Of course they don't use a "standard" fan. They use the one that comes with the coolers. :rolleyes:

2. I'd trust a synthetic test as it uses a standard, measurable load for all coolers to show how they perform under the exact same circumstances.

FrostyTech Mk.II Synthetic Thermal Test Platforms

Many of the better review sites use synthetic tests over "real world" testing to remove the many variables involved.

It is true that variables are eliminated, but it seems that everyone I've heard from that has both heatsinks, the TRUE performs better than the S1283. It may be only a "few degrees", but that's a pretty significant difference to me. The only Xigmatek heatsink that was really spot-on with the TRUE is their new Thor's Hammer, which is a pretty wicked-looking cooler.

I think it's a good idea that they use the fans that come with the coolers. That way you get a better idea of what to expect. Most people use the fans that come with the heatsink.

I agree with this, but I think it would be good if they also tested both heatsinks with the same fan just so we know how they perform on equal footing.

That's just my opinion on this.

In any real world use, "a few degrees" is absolutely nothing.

Now, if your talking about the extreme overclockers that want bragging rights to having the fastest, coolest thing around, then I guess "a few degrees" takes on some significance.

In any real world use, "a few degrees" is absolutely nothing.

Now, if your talking about the extreme overclockers that want bragging rights to having the fastest, coolest thing around, then I guess "a few degrees" takes on some significance.

But you're talking to an overclocker here :D

Yea, but does the difference between 40° and 43° make or break your overclock?

No, but it floats or sinks my boat :)

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. I was just throwing in my .02, I took it a little overboard though.

Aren't most heatsinks designed to work best with the fans that they come with?

I would imagine to some extent, like low-noise heatsinks coming with low-RPM fans. A lot of heatsink manufacturers don't make their own fans, but go to a supplier instead.

Yea, but does the difference between 40° and 43° make or break your overclock?
not significantly at lower overclocks but it can be contributary when you're running 5+GHz at ~max thermal limit and higher temps, those 3° can be critical to stability

No, but it floats or sinks my boat :)
Mine too, that's the difference between serious overclockers and the "general public" imo

Lapping a cpu IHS and/or a heatsink base isn't a "chore" to a true overclocker, it is a labour of love

:)

Back
Top Bottom