Suggestions for fan cooling a Q6600?

LOL @ Xig. lovers, they get owned by the lapped and washer modded TRUE :D

Cabbs, ATF and me are speaking from experience. I even owned an OCZ Vendetta (Xig copy) before.

people are Xig lovers because they are good coolers that are cheap and deliver top notch performance while requiring no maintenance or modding, not everyone wants to lap their cpus and coolers, some people would rather just buy something and just slap it in...

;)

I don't like Frostytech's reviews because:

1: There's no standardized fan they use across tests for different coolers
2: The tests are synthetic, meaning they don't use an actual CPU.

The TRUE is not the best cooler for low heat loads (like 45nm CPU's running low voltage), but they scale very well with a high heat load (overclocked quads) and a 1200 RPM fan or above. The bases aren't the greatest, but when lapped the TRUE is a top-notch performer.

I don't like Frostytech's reviews because:

1: There's no standardized fan they use across tests for different coolers
2: The tests are synthetic, meaning they don't use an actual CPU.

1. Of course they don't use a "standard" fan. They use the one that comes with the coolers. :rolleyes:

2. I'd trust a synthetic test as it uses a standard, measurable load for all coolers to show how they perform under the exact same circumstances.

The point of synthetic thermal testing is to remove the variations in heat loads generated by a CPU, as heat production is interconnected with its moment-by-moment processing work load. From our experience, synthetic thermal testing provides a more accurate and reproducible sets of results than testing with actual processors running in a system environment.

FrostyTech Mk.II Synthetic Thermal Test Platforms

Many of the better review sites use synthetic tests over "real world" testing to remove the many variables involved.

I think it's a good idea that they use the fans that come with the coolers. That way you get a better idea of what to expect. Most people use the fans that come with the heatsink.

Back
Top Bottom