I need advice

lawlonslawt

Baseband Member
I've been looking for a gaming laptop for awhile. I'm currently a junior in high school, and I'm being sent off to an extra curricular program this summer; basically college for a month. Obviously, I can't go that long without gaming. I've been searching for the cheapest buy I can find; the best bang for the buck. I came across some dude selling his Alienware M17.

The specs, according to him, are as follows (I'm quoting the seller here):
A 2.53ghz core2duo processor, with 6mb of L2 cache,
4gb of DDR3 1066,
Dual 512mb Radeon 3870's in crossfire w/HDMI and VGA outs.
One 7200rpm 160gb Hard drive (can be easily upgraded so something larger, also note that this laptop has up to three hard drive bays, and a raid controller)
One DVD/CD Burner
One 7-in-1 smartcard reader
Onboard wireless N (Intel chipset)
Onboard Bluetooth 2.1
Onboard 2 megapixel webcam
Onboard GigE Ethernet
Firewire, eSATA, and three independently controlled USB2.0 ports
7.1 surround sound via lightpipe or spidf, also has normal headphone/mic connectors.
Fingerprint Reader, as well as windows Face Recognition
All kinds of awesome media keys + a backlit keyboard (has the ability to change between red/green/blue colors)

Now, I've heard some general complaints about Alienware's products. The hardware they offer in their laptops are phenomenal for the price, so I've heard, but for some reason, their laptops don't function as well as laptops from other companies with competing hardware. This is just an example of some rumors I've heard. I've never had an Alienware myself, but this laptop is going for $900 with a warranty that he's willing to change to my name. The specs seem perfect for gaming.

I'm worried about this laptop failing me, as many other Alien laptops have for my friends; overheating, dying, hardware issues, etc.

If anyone can provide some input, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

That is an amazing laptop. It seems too good to be true. I would jump on it for that price, but it's fishy. A laptop like that can easily go for $500-$1700+ no problem. Alienware is drastically overpriced.

I've been looking for a gaming laptop for awhile. I'm currently a junior in high school, and I'm being sent off to an extra curricular program this summer; basically college for a month. Obviously, I can't go that long without gaming. I've been searching for the cheapest buy I can find; the best bang for the buck. I came across some dude selling his Alienware M17.

The specs, according to him, are as follows (I'm quoting the seller here):
A 2.53ghz core2duo processor, with 6mb of L2 cache,
4gb of DDR3 1066,
Dual 512mb Radeon 3870's in crossfire w/HDMI and VGA outs.
One 7200rpm 160gb Hard drive (can be easily upgraded so something larger, also note that this laptop has up to three hard drive bays, and a raid controller)
One DVD/CD Burner
One 7-in-1 smartcard reader
Onboard wireless N (Intel chipset)
Onboard Bluetooth 2.1
Onboard 2 megapixel webcam
Onboard GigE Ethernet
Firewire, eSATA, and three independently controlled USB2.0 ports
7.1 surround sound via lightpipe or spidf, also has normal headphone/mic connectors.
Fingerprint Reader, as well as windows Face Recognition
All kinds of awesome media keys + a backlit keyboard (has the ability to change between red/green/blue colors)

Now, I've heard some general complaints about Alienware's products. The hardware they offer in their laptops are phenomenal for the price, so I've heard, but for some reason, their laptops don't function as well as laptops from other companies with competing hardware. This is just an example of some rumors I've heard. I've never had an Alienware myself, but this laptop is going for $900 with a warranty that he's willing to change to my name. The specs seem perfect for gaming.

I'm worried about this laptop failing me, as many other Alien laptops have for my friends; overheating, dying, hardware issues, etc.

If anyone can provide some input, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Sounds good, one thing I noticed was that it can't be "DDR3" it has to be DDR2. I guess that's a typo.

That's a laptop!? Damn shorty... How much is the asking price?

edit: Oh I see it's 900 (only read the specs)

That is a nice deal dude

Back
Top Bottom