Laptop hard drive confusion

tonewheel

Solid State Member
I'm replacing the almost full hard drive of a friend's compaq v2000 notebook but I quickly realized I don't know what type of drive to get.

While perusing newegg I saw that there were sata, ata-100, and ata-6. A further search on tigerdirect reveals that there are also pata drives out there though I think they may be another name for one of the previous types.

The laptop, as far as i can tell, is using an older chipset even when it was relesed in '05. That being said I don't think it is using the sata interface but I can't seem to find anywhere online that will give me an answer.

If anyone can point me in the direction of what type of HD to put in here that would be great. I'm looking in the neighborhood of 160-200GB

Thanks

you'll need to call up compaq, they'll issue a new harddrive and can sell you one if needed.

you'll need to call up compaq, they'll issue a new harddrive and can sell you one if needed.

Why call? Looking up the specs online is all he needs to do. After that any supported HDD will work, and Compaq will over charge.

That's pretty poor advice, telling someone to phone the manufacturer to pay high amounts of money for a upgrade if they even offer one.

The laptop appears to be ATA, so any ATA 2.5" hard drive will work in it.

Oh, to answer the OP's question, ATA-100, ATA-6 and ATA-5 are all pretty much the same. If you get an ATA-6 drive it will clock down to match ATA-5. PATA is just the classification of these drives. Like SATA drives can be called "Serial ATA" drives, the original tech drives (ATA) have been dubbed PATA for "Parallel ATA"

thanks for the quick replies everyone. Following the advice that an ata-6 will work i went ahead and picked up this drive from newegg.

If this won't work then please let me know.

It should work just fine. Something to keep in mind. Most Laptops use an adapter to connect the hard drive inside the computer. This will just slide right off the end of the old hard drive and can be put right onto the new one.

Back
Top Bottom