Question of cpu temps

Ah, my bad. I meant you shouldn't. I would never overclock with the stock cooler at all. Those temps are extremely high. Even though you still have a bit of room left from your TJ max, you're really pushing it.
it's all good. I agree that I do need to upgrade my heatsink, i could push it farther too if I did that. However, being a college student makes money hard to come across :p

i dont know about quad-cores but i know dual-cores Core Temps should be around the same as each other not 10c diffence from one another

i dont know about quad-cores but i know dual-cores Core Temps should be around the same as each other not 10c diffence from one another

That is because both "cores" are the same chip, with a quad core there are two chips and a disparity like his is not uncommon, 10°C is at the outer limits for the disparity but I have seen chips that have a 12°C difference, it's not really a big issue as they will probably both scale the same when under load.

That's a lot of Vcore for 3.0GHz, is there any particular reason (instability?) you have it set so high?

Not the best cooler I'm afraid, it is only slightly better than the stock cooler apparently (Link) if you want air cooling the top of the heap is still the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (imo)

I agree with the MX-2 comment also, it is superior to AS5 without a doubt.

Yes it was instable. Prime 95 ran for a couple minutes and failed. Also, I dont entirely know what im doing. I know your suppose to adjust some stuff with the south and north bridge too. And by the way, as soon as i try to go to 3.1 stuff starts freaking out. Any tips/suggestions?

You really have to know what you're doing. Taking the Q6600 to 3.0GHz isn't difficult at all. You have the up the voltages a little bit at a time and keep testing that way. It can be pretty time consuming. Look up guides for overclocking your chip. But, ONLY when you get a good aftermarket cooler.

You really have to know what you're doing. Taking the Q6600 to 3.0GHz isn't difficult at all. You have the up the voltages a little bit at a time and keep testing that way. It can be pretty time consuming. Look up guides for overclocking your chip. But, ONLY when you get a good aftermarket cooler.

it's a little bit harder with B3 stepping instead of the G0, but well worth the effort...

what would you suggest for a cooler? I was under the impression that mine was good enough but apparently not.

If you're really, really unlucky, you can still get a new retail one from Newegg.

That would really suck, haha. I hear they are so much harder to overclock than the G0 versions.

what would you suggest for a cooler? I was under the impression that mine was good enough but apparently not.

I would suggest the Xigmatek HDT S1283 anytime, anyday. It's a fantastic cooler, especially if you're on a budget. It performs within a few degrees of the TRU series, which cost a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom