Logitech Z-5500 Speakers - 505W or 1010W?

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
I'm looking into purchasing these speakers, but I'm confused because it keeps saying that they are both 505W and 1010W, which one is it? I think they are 505W so if so, what is the 1010W? Thanks for any help.

I'm pretty sure that it's 505W RMS.... But i'm not sure what the 1010W is, but I know it's the "FTC Power"....

Technical Specifications

o Total FTC power: 505 watts RMS
Sub-woofer: 188 watts RMS (into 8 ohms, @ 100Hz, @ 10% THD)
Satellites:
Left/Right: 62 watts RMS x 2 (into 8 ohms, @ 1khz, @ 10% THD)
Center: 69 watts RMS (into 8 ohms, @ 1kHz, @ 10% THD)
Rear Left & Right: 62 watts RMS x 2 (into 8 ohms, @ 1kHz, @ 10% THD)
o Total Peak power: 1010 watts
The FTC power rating gives you the average power output for all channels over a wide frequency range and lower distortion level. It is a much more realistic measure of an amplifier's average output power. The total peak power is a measurement of how much power your speakers can handle for a very brief period of time.

I wouldn't base my purchase off those grossly inflated RMS numbers. They simply add up all those power ratings to give you that rating. It means nothing in real life.

I'm looking into purchasing these speakers, but I'm confused because it keeps saying that they are both 505W and 1010W, which one is it? I think they are 505W so if so, what is the 1010W? Thanks for any help.

505W RMS will be the total RMS output. Unfortunately manufactures double the RMS figure to get 'Peak Power Output', 1010W, which is useless. This started happening in the days of valve power amps and they doubled, or X 4 for PMPO or 2020W!, to make an item look powerful.

The RMS value is most accurate as it's based on the output (V) & (I) needed to create heat (W) across a resistor (R).

Nice set of speakers for the money.

:)

They are brilliant PC speakers anyway, thats all I have to say :p

Thanks everyone for the replies, but I have one last thing to ask. I used to have an X-FI Xtreme Gamer but sadly it broke and I have been using integrated HD audio since. Will this integrated audio be good enough for the Z5500 speakers, if not I have an old Sound Blatser Audigy SE card, or would it be a good idea to get another X-FI?

I would never use onboard for music anyway, but if it has a Digital Optical out port, which will go directly to the speakers, then you may get away with it, but I still wouldn't to be honest.

If you do get an X-FI though, make sure it has a Optical out, as my Xtreme-Music didn't and I had to buy an external connector for it, directly from Creative.

I would never use onboard for music anyway, but if it has a Digital Optical out port, which will go directly to the speakers, then you may get away with it, but I still wouldn't to be honest.

If you do get an X-FI though, make sure it has a Optical out, as my Xtreme-Music didn't and I had to buy an external connector for it, directly from Creative.

My Sound Blaster Audigy just has the usual blue, green, black & orange connectors, although the blue one says next to it "DIGITAL_IO" but its an analogue socket. The motherboard has "SPDIF out" but I'm not sure what this is. When I had the X-FI extreme gamer, I don't remember it having a digital connection either.

Back
Top Bottom