Question about ram

Tommy Boy

Golden Master
Alright, I wanted to do a ram upgrade on my laptop so I went to crucial and did a scan, the scan showed me the correct ram that was in there, DDR2 667 but suggested me DDR2 800 as an upgrade. I later found out that my laptop only actually supports DDR2 667, but I had already bought the OCZ DDR2 800 and installed it. It works just fine, it recognizes it as DDR2 800 but it's only running at DDR2 667 speed (333mhz).

So my question is, is the downclocked DDR2 800 performing the same as a correct DDR2 667 set would? It's dual channel as well btw. Since it is working fine should I just keep it? I was thinking about RMAing it back to newegg and getting a correct DDR2 667 set of Gskill memory, but is it worth the hassle if it works fine, just downclocked.

If the timings are the same, it shouldn't perform any worse. If the timings are worse, I doubt you would notice.

It really doesn't matter. DDR2-800 running at 667 still runs the same as DDR2 running at 667. You will see very little, if any performance increase between 667 and 800 for everyday purposes.

yeah it will perform exactly the same as 667 since it is effectively running at that speed the only thing is later on if you upgrade to another computer that can utilize the 800 you can reuse it so it is actually better to just keep it. Plus you would have to pay to ship it back.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll just keep it in there, after all it is double what I had before (2gb to 4gb).

Back
Top Bottom