LAN speed.

pud

In Runtime
My provider says I should be able to reach up to 256kb/s. Anytime I download anything the most I have seen is 157kb/s. I have onboard ethernet on my mobo hence no external card. The motherboard is an MSI ms-7184, is it possible this is the fastest my current HW will allow?

My modem is also a router. If the onboard lan port is slowing me down can I get an external PCI version, and run that as well as the onboard?

The key is reach UP TO 256K. My cable company says I can reach UP TO 20Mbps, however doing speed tests, and anything I download maxes out at about 18Mbps. Nothing to sneeze at, but still. Its not a guarantee that you will achieve 256 due to internet traffic, your modem, router etc., or your connection to the DSL block or whatever you use. DSL right? The closer you are to the DSL block, the better your speed is according to the phone companies. I never had DSL so I cant say weather thats true or not.

to check your internet download and upload speeds you can go to speakeasy.com and do a test. Like Jikifreak said it is up to that amount (256). That can be because your computer may not be able to handle it. Unlikely in this case. Also if the server you are downloading from is busy or cant handle the speed your ISP says you get than you wont max out your download speed. I also have 20 megs a second with Fiber and the most i see is on the average 18 megs a second when tested. Now i realisticly only download at 10 to 15 megs a second when you take into consideration that my computer and the server are not able to handle the amount that I am paying for. I see the speeds when i download a gig or more of data.

~165 KB/sec download

I watch alot of streaming movies, and they take about ~1-3 hours to load...usually around 700mb divx files. I was just trying to think of a way to speed up the load times so I didnt have to wait so long for them to buffer....and I got to thinking that maybe running a dual LAN connection may process more. Or am I pipe dreaming? hah

The key is reach UP TO 256K. My cable company says I can reach UP TO 20Mbps, however doing speed tests, and anything I download maxes out at about 18Mbps. Nothing to sneeze at, but still. Its not a guarantee that you will achieve 256 due to internet traffic, your modem, router etc., or your connection to the DSL block or whatever you use. DSL right? The closer you are to the DSL block, the better your speed is according to the phone companies. I never had DSL so I cant say weather thats true or not.

There should be no complaining with a 18MBps connection lol. Holycrap dude thats like a freakin bandwidth monster

out of curiousity pud and crackerjacker who is your ISP the bandwidth seems really low for my area which is around 5 megs download and 2 upload

Back
Top Bottom