Computer isn't posting need idea's

This morning I logged onto my computer and out of the blue it locked up on me. I restarted and it would not post. So I turned the back power switch off and waited about 15 minutes. I turned it back on and it loaded up. After about 5 minutes in Windows it locked up again on me. Then it wouldn't post and would not display any error codes on the LCD.

So I decided to start with the memory. I pulled 2 of the 4 sticks and it booted right up. Thinking maybe I got lucky and started to fiddle around in windows and got a BSOD. Now being a dummy I didn't put the sticks in dual channel but that shouldn't of caused a blue screen right?

So I dug out my Memtest 86 ISO and swapped the sticks. I've got the other 2 sticks running in dual channel mode right now. Currently 0 errors 32% through the test. Now after I complete this test I'm going to run the other 2 sticks and see if I get any errors.

Now if it was going into the windows the CPU still has to be good right? And I would assume that the board is good also. So this really leaves the memory and hard drives.

Is there anything I'm forgetting about while running diagnostics here? I've got my old PC booted up right now so I can at least get online. I'll report back after the first series of tests completes.

If both sets pass I guess I should try the other dimm slots to see if I got a bad slot causing the problem.

most likely a bad stick of mem
could also be a bad power supply possible?

Well shortly after I posted that my first test series just locked up on me. So I removed those 2 sticks and placed the other 2 sticks in and got the following screen.

ComputerErrors.jpg

As you can see I know I've got a bad stick. So out of the 4 sticks I got errors on one of them while 2 sticks were running.

But whats odd is after I got that error I decided to do individual testing with each stick by itself. Now the computer will start up for a few seconds and just shut down. If I watch the LCD it will start to light up but then just shuts down before it posts. It has done this with each stick of memory now and I find it hard to believe that all 4 sticks are bad.

So its got to be the power supply or the motherboard then right? Not sure how I can do anymore testing.

power supply... plug into another computer if u dont have a tester
as for the board not really sure...

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;913831 said:
Okay so you think the PSU is shot then? I guess I'll order another one from newegg. That way I can just disconnect the old one and plug the new one in without removing anything. If that doesn't take care of it then its got to be the board right?

Cant you quickly test the PSU on the old comp your using now?

Off topic: you on Killzone 2 tomorow? :)

Cant you quickly test the PSU on the old comp your using now?

Off topic: you on Killzone 2 tomorow? :)

To be honest I just don't feel like it. I'd rather not mess with this other computer since I need it to get online. I go to school online so I have to have something running.

I may be on KZ2 tomorrow.

I was looking at PSU's and the one I currently have is deactivated. So I've got to get another one. How does this one look?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

if i could go back and redo my current build id deff go for modular psu

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;913844 said:
So you're saying that should be a good PSU? I ordered one with overnight shipping so it should be here tomorrow sometime.

I guess I'll post back after I receive it and get everything hooked up. I really hope this is the problem.

it's a good psu, but this would've been better, too late now though, the Corsair is close to the Antec Signature series in quality, but at the same price point as the one you bought, still a good psu though...

Back
Top Bottom