4/11 worm question

If someone is hit with it, will the user know about it right away? I only have sp2 on my test XP system. Not enough room on the HD for SP3.

If you see any incoming mail with a file attached from an unknown you simply click the delete button to send it on it's way! Apparently the "Conficker" is an I-Worm type generally seen as an attached file for that type.

Several systems infected produce what's called a "botnet" apparently used to steal personal and other information. One infected system generates email to forward copies to the contacts/address book lists.

"Small but Sophisticated
"The vast majority of threats we see today are attempts to steal confidential information. We know there's a large underground economy where personal information is sold," said Dean Turner of the online security firm Symantec." http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=7163685&page=1

i'll be disconnecting my computer from the internet before I go to bed tonight :D

With basic spam filtering and removal I wouldn't even be worried too much. It won't jump onto your machine just being an attached but when clicking to open or save it. Here I bounce as well as block spam along with seeing all items in the deleted folder deleted automatically when exiting the email client used.

disconnecting your internet cable from your computer would still give you viruses.. please explain this one to me.. However, once you would reconnect your anti virus wouldn't be up to date along w/ other security software

You would already have to have seen the virus on the system for it to take effect with or without being connected when something triggered it. As for I-Worm type viruses those depend on active connections in order to spread from an infected host machine to others by replication.

The latest heard on the Conficker however has many starting to wonder if this was anything more then an April Fools Day hoax being perpetrated. Someone would be getting their "jollies" seeing everyone else overreact to a false alarm. A chain letter hoax warning about a virus that kills hard drives was going around last year at one point.

lol yeah... i wish it was just all a lie and wasent true... i got it... belive me... it sucks... i try to remove it and then the anti virus cant do it so it says restart and it'll be removed upon boot-up, then when it trys that it notice's and messes up my bios and i have to restart it...

Back
Top Bottom